1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Modify Insta-act manifold for under hood mechanical pump

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by TJS, Jan 14, 2014.

1. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

This may sound crazy. I have a Insta act pump I got cheap, less motor and brackets. Basically I have a good working manifold block assembly with reservoir which I want to just make it a hydraulic valve block control. I would like to run an under hood pump or utilize the power steering pump set up(I have many options here).. I am not a machinist but can cut threads, O ring boss or NPT, and have my own lathe and Bridgeport Milling machine. I know there would have to be some machining/tapping of the feed and return holes in this manifold assembly. The breather would also have to be plugged as the under hood pump would have the breather on it. Bracketry and mounting the manifold would be pretty straight forward as well. The only thing I would not like about this is I would have to run quick disconnect fittings when I hook up the plow. I like Insta act manifold block because all the solenoids are in line as well as the hose layout. I would not attempt this until the spring and summer though.I have seen Meyer blocks for external pumps and they are selling for over 500.00.

2. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Hi - I've been a 'fan' of your work for some time, so please take this as no disrespect. With that said - what is your goal/objective from this?
    Plugging the breather is easy, just a pipe plug. I'll take your old one if you aren't gonna use it - PM me.
    But won't you have an issue with sealing where the motor normally goes through to engage the pump?

3. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

My goal is to have faster hydraulics and less elect. draw. I have a Fenner/SPX stone set up right now that I modded with a larger 3.1 cc/revolution pump was 1.6 cc/rev, almost double the volume. It is fast but I want to be faster. As for the seal. I can machine a press fit plug for that or just drill and tap it for a NPT pipe plug. I have a couple of mechanical pumps laying around from Fisher pump (too slow) to other external gear pumps.
    T.J.

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

It was possible and done with the old SEHP blocks. There was a plate that bolted on that had pump pressure and return ports as well as the lift cylinder port. Not sure if it was Fisher or a third party. I had one plumbed into a truck with central hydraulics. It let you use the Fisher electric joystick. I have seen 4 or 5 other trucks the same over the years.

5. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Yes I thought about the SEHP block too, but do not have one laying around. That however maybe an avenue to take.
    See I know there are others who have seen and used something like this.
    Thanks.
    T.J.

6. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Ah OK I'm not nuts. I had started writing about that setup for the SEHP pumps as I thought I had 'seen' one at some point, but wasn't sure and didn't want to embarrass myself with a bigfoot story :) That is probably the easiest approach, but likely hard to find. Not sure if it would be any easier or cheaper to start with a discarded SEHP pump housing and pull the solenoid block from that?

Good luck!

7. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Haha - i had a pic in my photobucket :)
    [​IMG]

8. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

That's what mine was. I actually think it could be made pretty easy. Piece of plate, holes drilled to bolt it to the manifold and then drill and tap holes for lines. The O-rings reliefs are in the manifold I think.