1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Modern Marvels DVD - Salt Mines

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dumper, Jan 31, 2006.

1. dumper

dumper Junior Member

The television show Modern Marvels (usually on the History Channel) has a show on once in awhile about salt mines.

Very interesting, it shows the history of salt mining, and alot of film of modern salt mines. Also shows how they make solar salt.

There was a recent thread about size of salt, they show how they crush, screen and sort different grades of salt.

It's not scheduled to be on again in the near future, but you can buy the dvd at www.historychannel.com for like $29.99.

Most of the video is from Cargill, but it is educational, not sales related.

BTW, I do sell salt (advertise here), but I have nothing to do with the History Channel or the DVD, and have no financial interest in this DVD at all.

2. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I think that also was the one where they cut up all the equipment to get it down into the mine never to come back up again.

4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i saw that show last week. i like the solar mine with the sea salt. i really like the john deere tractor they used to harvest the salt.

5. MD Power Plow

MD Power Plow Senior Member

Great show

I saw the show last week also, If you havent seen it try to catch a rerun on cable well worth the tme.:nod:

6. Frostysnow

Frostysnow Senior Member
    from oh

That was one of the most intreguing Moern Marvel that i had seen in a while. It is crazy to think that they are mining under lake erie!!

7. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

I saw it too. Good old Lake Erie. Coughing up all that Salt. Amazing. That was a cool show. Lots of interesting stuff. Totally blows my mind.

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Detroit I think is built on salt domes also and there like 40k ft. deep