1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Model # and fluid?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by leadfooter, Jan 1, 2007.

1. leadfooter

leadfooter Member
    from Midwest

I just bought an old truck with a meyer plow.
    1. How do i determine what model the pump assembly is???
    2. Is there a site that shows photos or a parts fich of I can see?
    3. How much fluid should be in the pump?
    4. Can I just use the hyd fluid I used in my old JD A's loader???
    Thanks

2. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Goto the meyer website above and all your questions should be answered. Use plow pump fluid not just any ole hydro fluid. The one thing I will tell you is to make sure the lifting ram is all the way down, which meens you will need to get out and manualy push it down, when you check your fluid...Rob

3. leadfooter

leadfooter Member
    from Midwest

Thanks for the reply.
    The fluid in it is red?? Is Meyers fluid red?? if not its probably just some ATF correct??
    IS there a difference in AFT fluids (dextron, Chrysler) or just as long as its ATF will I be fine as I do not want to drain it all out currently??
    Thanks

4. StorksAuto

StorksAuto Senior Member

If it is red you should drain it and put Meyer oil in. ATF doesnt do the pump any good. If you post a picture of your pump we can tell you the model.

5. leadfooter

leadfooter Member
    from Midwest

1. Here is a photo if anyone can tell me what model it is?? the motor says prestolite on it.
    2. Also the U shaped mount that is part of the pump assembly under the pump where the one large bolt goes through is broken/cracked right in the middle. It this weldable??. Is this common?? What causes it to break there so I can prevent it in the future?? Thanks

Pump small.JPG

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  6. StorksAuto

StorksAuto Senior Member

Ok this is an older E-47 pump
    Yes as long as the break does not leak fluid it can be welded but it is better to just replace the base and clean out the pump. If you can find a good welder you should be able to get it done for a descent price cause a new base is not cheap runs around $125

They brake from being hit in most cases

7. leadfooter

leadfooter Member
    from Midwest

Hit ??? How could it get hit??? I don't follow?
    I would think that it rocks from side to side and stresses it there??
    Thanks

8. StorksAuto

StorksAuto Senior Member

Most of the ones we get in with broken bases ran into something with the pump or I have been told by some E-60 people that they took the top bolt out and let it swing down to work on it and the pump snapped off but I dont know how it would break that easy

9. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Every Meyer pump I've seen with the bottom mount broken was left on the truck year around.

10. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

If you are going to change the fluid from ATF to Meyer, you should also drain the two ram cylinders on the plow at the same time. If you don't, you will be mixing the two fluids and you don't want to do that.

11. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Ummm Hello..... The so called "Meyer or Plow fluid" is nothing more than a medium grade hydraulic fluid 20w at best and is the same thing as transmission fluid. The color is the dye they put in it to identify it. And they sell it for like $7 - $9 per quart LOL.....:realmad:

If you want a good quality fluid for any hydraulic pump go to like Napa - Carquest or your local hydraulic shop and get the high grade fluid that is used in large contractor equipment (case - komatsu - john deere etc. ) You will find out that it does not cost $7.00 a quart just because it says "Snow Plow" use on it.

We run only the commercial grade fluid in our pumps and it works just fine at $8.50 per gallon.

Emergency maint. TIP:::::: if you loose fluid and dont have any with you...you can always go to the closest Quicky Mart and get some vegetable oil...it will work enough to get your plow raised and you back to the shop for repairs.

12. leadfooter

leadfooter Member
    from Midwest

I have a couple gallons of "universal tractor hydrolic fluid" Is this suitable since its already paid for I hate to waste it. My system leaks and has atf in it right now but I only use the truck about 5 times a year just on our farm place???

13. Whip

Whip Member

I have used 10w hydraulic fluid and even motorcycle suspension fluid and had no adverse affects myself.

14. StorksAuto

StorksAuto Senior Member

I agree that there are some other good fluids out there that will work great some may even be better. But if you think ATF and Genuine Meyer plow oil are the same go ahead and run it in your pump and see how many problems you have. We rebuild a few hundred pumps a year and service a large amount of plows during any local storm and I can tell you there is a huge differance. If you have a bad leak atf will work and keep the cost down but we would not recomend using it long term.