1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Model 2000 Low Profile Spreader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by EPP200, Nov 6, 2000.

1. EPP200

EPP200 Junior Member

I have decided to purchase a new Fisher Model 2000 low profile swing-away spreader. It is very similar (if not the exact same) as the Western model 2000 low profile spreader. My question, has anybody here used or is currently using either of the above 2 spreaders?

If so, what problems have you encountered? Just curious. Also, I will be getting the variable speed control.

Thanks for the input. ........ ED

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

We dont use any single stage spreaders. For us they dont work. we did just purchase another airflow 2 stage spreader. Make sure the material you use is dry and free flowing and you should be fine, but a vibrator kit my be needed at times, or to ensure that you dont have any hang ups.
    Dino

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Dino.
    You might just have to go out a buy a durmax, with that second airflow spreader. You won't be able to put the airflow in the ranger or f150, or will you?

We all know you want the durmax, and just need a reason that you should buy one.

Geoff

4. plowking35

from SE CT

Actually we have an airflow tailgate spreader on the ranger. But the 150 is DOA. I should have known the ford would let me down. The frame is rotted through behind the drivers saddle fuel tank. We brought it in the shop today and found the bad area. However, we have found an 86 F 350 rolling 4x4 chassis for $ 100.00, so after a body swap we will be back in business. It shouldnt really take much longer than the work would have taken on the 150 anyway. Much easier to work from on the frame with no body on it.
    The 300-6 cyl with efi will stay, and be mated to a 4 sp with 4.10 gearing. I beieve longer studs are all that are needed in the rear axel, so duallies might find their way onto the truck as well.
    As for the new airflow tailgate spreader, it is for one of my subs who incendently own a 96 F-350 with a PS and auto tranny. He has a 9' western for the front.
    Geoff I always thought the c-6 tranny in back of the 6.9 was pretty stout. Did they have probs with that combo as well?
    Dino

5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

The c-6s were pretty good behind the 6.9s were fine, for the post part. Again if you beat them, they will fail like any trans. It was the 7.3s that were way to big for plowing. However I would still recomened aggresive trans maintenance, for any pick-up based truck with a diesel. The durmax and allison trans, probably wouldn't require 2X a year trans service.

I take it you are going to put some type of rack or dump body on the F 350 frame. Yes with the 4.10 axel, all you will need are longer studs, and off set wheels.

Geoff

[Edited by GeoffDiamond on 11-07-2000 at 03:54 AM]

6. plowking35

from SE CT

Oh yeah about the duramax and allison. Even tho I would love one, I dont want tp pay 3K over list just to own one. I really want to wait till they have the 4500 out next year.
    The allison and the engine both have optical sensors that look at the fluid and or oil, when it gets dirty, it sets off a light on the dash. the truck also comes with a tranny temp gauge to keep track of temps. It also has a spin on filter, so I hear that you replace the filter like every 5 k and top off fluid, and you dont have to doa complete tranny fluid change for 100K. I just did the fluid on my 4L80E after 40K and the fluid was real dirty, the manual says 50K so my guess is divide by 1/2 and that gives you a more realistic fluid change intervals.
    I dont know about the body on the rear, most likely a steel flat bed. I hear the frame has a bed on it, but I will have to see what the condition is. I prefer a flat bed, less thngs to damage in reverse.
    Dino