1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

modding a backpack blower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by coppertec, Dec 21, 2013.

1. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

Just as the name suggests, has anyone had any success modding a backpack blower to crank out more power?

I bought what a top of the line husqavarna 4 years ago and it still goes strong but i'd love to cut my "out of truck" time down :)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Just buy a bigger one, buy a red max!

3. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

It has been done. Modify exhaust to breath better. Port intake. I have a couple chainsaws like this. It really does work depending on how much potential each machine has.

Brad Snelling, who is a professional on this subject, did a backpack blower. He hangs out at the arboristsite forum

http://photo.blsnelling.com/Chainsaws/Shindaiwa-EB802-Backpack/16150349_XFRBCB

There is also a video somewhere of it blowing a brick.

It might be cheaper just to sell yours and buy the biggest. I got the second biggest commercial blower in the echo line and it can blow a brick across asphalt. It also weighs over 25lbs dry.

4. vlc

vlc Senior Member

Redmax 8500. You can thank me later :)

5. UltraLwn&Lndscp

UltraLwn&Lndscp Senior Member

Redmax 8500 for sure, I have two. heck, Redmax everything!