1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mobile Office Questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by M & MD Lawn, Apr 4, 2012.

1. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

Hey guys,

I am going mobile, I am mounting my computer and getting printer in the truck. My question is are their any recommendations on which power inverter to purchase and wattage? I am considering adding a second aux. battery. On my main battery I have the strobes and plow, plus the other misc electronics in the truck radio etc. I feel as if my main battery is loaded up and may call for another...also I might add other things later on..who knows. My truck is a sierra 454.

Also any other things I should consider going mobile? I was trying to hold off but find that this will save me time and some money especially when giving estimates.

Thanks in Advance,
    Paul

2. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

3. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

One thing you dont want to do is to buy one of those 12 volt plug in inverters. You'll want to find yourself a dedicated hardwired unit with circut breakers and fused protection. The second battery is a great idea, what I've done before is actually had a second battery dedicated to running the inverter, that way it was not draining my main battery if the truck wasnt running and the inverter was, which is a lot more than you would think. I use a Vector Maxx SST, which is probably overkill for you, but I can charge batteries for things like drills and flashlights while still powering my toughbook, phone charger, and printer. Heck, I can even run most powertools off of it, it's rated at 3000 watts. I never do this, but I actually had it professionally installed do to time constraints at the time, and it was a very good decision.

4. M & MD Lawn

I never thought to get a new Alternator....the one that is in my truck is huge..not sure of its amperage

5. M & MD Lawn

Thats what I am doing, i wasn't referring to a plug in, a professional installed one. A buddy of mine also has his setup and he told me not to do that...kills batteries were his words. I just wondered which power inverter to buy and wattage...he bought his own and took and had it installed. He has a diesel so of course he already has two batteries. Mine although its a red top optima feel a second may be in need.

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Make sure the second battery matches the one thats in there! Also, you may want to think about running a battery isolator so that the fluctuating power caused my running accessories and the plow won't fluctuate power going to the inverter...this will also keep you from draining your engine start battery if running your "office" accessories with the engine off for a long time.

7. M & MD Lawn

Just wondering...why do they need to match?.... and i assume that isolates the office to the second battery and everything else to the main?

8. M & MD Lawn

ALSO suggestions on a printer??

9. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

My second battery is isolated in a way that if the inverter drains it down and creates a low power condition, it will cut the power to it. I beleive it is called a 'Battery Buddy".