1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mobile internet?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mulcahy mowing, Dec 17, 2007.

1. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

Do any of you guys have Mobile Internet in your trucks to run a lap top? I have searched but didn't come up with much.

how do you go about it? do you just have a Internet card in the computer like you can buy from most of the major cell phone company's?

what do you pay per month?

any help would be great

Thanks
    -James

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i have a blackberry i pay $30 a month for full internet and GPS:bluebounc

3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

yep blackberry too here, plus I have an aircard from Verizon. they are great.
    20 for the bb data plan and 53.90 for the aircard.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

A lot of times you can link up with some WiFi that's in the area.

5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

the problem around me is everyone locks the shiz up:angry:

6. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

ditto but i think i pay $40 a month...

7. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I have Verizon Broadband. I got the PMCIA card because it is more secure in there then the usb type. I can just leave it in all the time, even when I am hauling my laptop around in my backpack, or on the center counsel.

It is nice because I can use it anywhere, and have full screen internet, not just the little screen on my phone. Right now I am in my apt typing. I use it while working to create and send invoices. And dont tell anyone... but its nice to have internet cruising down the hwy. Just make sure to use it wisely and pay attention to your driving.

Oh and its $60 a month / 2yr contract. I also get a 15% discount on top of that- for being in the MNANG.

8. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

I was payin $40 a mnth but i upgraded to the pearl today and they told me they have a new plan for $30a month. same service you just cant use corporate email address. payup

9. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

anyone know of a company that does it by the month without a signed contract. most companies do do with it without a contract, but you have to buy the wireless card upfront for about $300. i would just like to use it for a couple months in the winter when i have more time to use it. any ideas?

10. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

I have the same. Alltel wireless internet (air Card) and WIFI. Gettin blocked on WIFI is so common that its easier or faster to just dial up your aircard and not chase around trying to find a hotspot.....

11. salopez

salopez Senior Member

forget trying to use someone's wifi...its a federal crime to do that, even if you didnt hack it. fbi is starting to crack down on it and its not worth it to me.

12. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

what model did you have before the pearl.. how do you like the pearl, u have sprint?

13. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i had the 7130 for verizon but the pearl is in a different league. fast internet just gotta learn all the quirks.

14. befnme

befnme Junior Member
    from nc.

i use both my laptop and my cell. i have nextel and only pay $10 extra per month for a full data pack w/unlimited internet service.

15. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

hey,could you tell me a little more about that. i have nextel too, and $10 would be well worth it. do you connect the phone via usb to the computer?
    thanks!

16. befnme

befnme Junior Member
    from nc.

no, you just add the data package and you will get unlimited internet. i use microsoft streets and trips on my laptop with a holux gps receiver. but you can get telenav on your phone for $10 per month plus the data pack. telenav is not that great. it helps but it dosent like to recalculate and sometimes it lets you go off course a few miles before detecting it.

17. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

Thanks for all the info guys!
    my cell just died tonight i was looking at a blackberry so now i wont feel bad about buying one.

18. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

get the pearl. great phone

19. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

I have a Blackberry 7100i from Nextel that is awsome, I also have a Palm LifeDrive that has WiFi that works great too when there is a connection, and I live in the city so usually all I have to do is pull up in front of an apartment building and I have my choice of un-encrypted connections.

The data package from Nextel is $39.99/mo by the way and like the guys said above, it's an extra $10/mo for TeleNav GPS, but I haven't heard good things about it.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  20. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

if you do a somewhat decent amount of emailing the blackberry is the only way to go.. i used to get to the office and have 20 emails to answer now i do it right on the fly in the field, i love it... i'll never get rid of my crackberry...