1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MN Salt Shortage, This TRUE

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by TurfSolutionsMN, Nov 10, 2008.

1. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I have been calling everyone around my area, I live in southern MN. I found salt for $75 a ton called today to confirm, they said they are holding on to what they have. Does anyone know who has salt in my area Im only looking for 15 ton. HELP PLEASE!!

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Cutler Magner in Duluth has a pile bigger than the state of Rhode Island sitting on the shore of Lake Superior. If you can't find anything close to where you're located you can always try them.

http://www.cutlermagner.com/

3. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

check craigs list(minneapolis). I saw a posting on there for salting service and bulk salt. I believe he was in blaine mn. Hope this helps ya....payup

4. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

I have heard from others in town that anything but bagged is really hard to get right now. But, try calling Steve, @218/740-5136. He is the salt sales manager at cutler.

5. schwicke1

schwicke1 Junior Member
    from Iowa

Salt Availablity

I have salt in NE Iowa 140/ton call 563 382 5866

6. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Don't even bother trying Cutler. Unless you have been a customer for the last five years straight they don't even want to talk to you.

7. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

Thanks Everyone for your help I found some salt for $140 a ton, but I have to pick it up. Why are these prices so out of hand?

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Salt Politics is why it is so high.

9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

give us something to talk about on PS:(

10. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

I punched some numbers and figured out bagged rock salt is cheaper than bulk salt for me. May sound stupid but im mixing all my salt and sand by hand :dizzy:

11. Subicbay

Subicbay Junior Member

Not crazy, we have to adjust our methods of purchase and operations.Whats crazy is the CEOs of large salt companies keeping pace with the Oil CEOs @ the country club.

12. schwicke1

schwicke1 Junior Member
    from Iowa

Actually, I think the price of the actual salt is nearly the same FOB the mines. Its the freight thats killing us.