1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MMII install on an '06 GMC Sierra 2500HD...

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mkwl, Aug 9, 2010.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Hi-

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the installation instructions for an '06 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel, and the MMII Fisher Straight Blade truckside?

Does the Fisher site somewhere tell the locations and colors of the wires needed to splice into? There are about a zillion wires under the hood of my new truck- I'm debating whether to spend $400 to have it installed by a local dealer (I'm looking to buy a used truckside setup from a fellow plowsite member), or do it myself...

Thanks!

Matt

2. Snow Miser

Snow Miser Senior Member

wiring instructions: http://fisherplows.com/pdf/29206.04_052407.pdf
    vehicle mount instructions: http://fisherplows.com/pdf/64015.03_100108.pdf

For installing the wiring there is only 3 wires you have to splice under the hood and one wire to splice underneath the dash (Also fisher gives you an extra wire to splice into the DRLs on truck but it is not needed). The wires you need to splice underneath the hood are the two turn signals and the running lights. And as for the wire underneath the hood you just have to splice it in with a switched accessory. but what I do instead of splicing a wire underneath the dash, i just used a fuse splitter and attach the plow accessory wire to the clock fuse or some other unimportant fuse on the fuse panel.

3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Ok thanks! What is the connection under the dash? Are any of these in difficult places to reach?

4. Snow Miser

Snow Miser Senior Member

the connection under the dash is essentially just a power switch, it's so when you turn your key off on your truck you can't operate the plow. getting to wires in the headlights is pretty easy. The hardest thing about the install will be how you run the wiring, you want to run it so it won't get in the way of any essential parts. Also getting the plow controller plug and switch wire on the other side of the firewall of the truck. you may have to drill a hole in your firewall to get those wires to underneath the dash, or if your lucky there might already be a rubber grommet on the firewall that you might open up to sneek the wires through.

5. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Ok thanks. Where are the wires that I need to tap into for the headlights located?

Regarding the firewall- my truck has the plow prep package on it, so I think it should have a pre-drilled hole for the controller wiring. Assuming it has this grommet- where would it be located (I looked but didn't see one today)?

Thanks!

matt

6. Snow Miser

Snow Miser Senior Member

you don't have to tap into the headlight wires, with adapter kit 29048 all you have to do is plug in the light harness kit where the head light plugs go. the only wires you have to splice are the left and right side turn signals, and the vehicle running lights. having the plow prep package doesn't mean you have a grommet in your firewall, if you don't want to drill a hole in the fire wall i would try snaking in the plow wires through a spot in the firewall where trucks factory wires are already running through.

7. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Matt, I'm pretty sure MCWLandscaping has your exact truck (06 with a Duramax). He did his own install as well and got things right even being color blind

8. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Put a small slice in the large rubber gromet right next to where the main wiring harness comes through the firewall, snake a firm wire or piece of coat hanger through it connect the wiring to it with tape and pull it through the grommet, it will remain weather tight. The only wires you need to splice into are your directionals on each side, one marker light and I think a DRL.