1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MMI w/ Insta Act - electric issue

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Jaspell, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Jaspell

Jaspell Member
    from 06117

Plow was running fine this morning when all of a sudden it has decided to stop. The blade is down. Wont come up, or turn. The power light is on on the control switch but when I move the control lever it is clear it is not drawing any current. (the volt meter on the truck does not move at all). Help!!!!

Non Fish stick controler.

2. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Solenoid under the hood.

3. Jaspell

Jaspell Member
    from 06117

Needs to be replaced or what?

4. 06Sierra

from Maine

Sorry, I had a crabby kid that was ready for a nap. More than likely. When I first bought my plow, used, it did the same thing as yours. I took a screw driver and touched it across the big posts on the solenoid while someone was pressing a button on the control. The plow moved. Worked fine after I got a new one.

5. Jaspell

Jaspell Member
    from 06117

OK. The other thing is the that the truck lights and turn signals come on rather than the ones on the plow. That was sort of leading me to the ISO modulator.

6. Jaspell

Jaspell Member
    from 06117

I guess this is a dumb question but how do I raise the blade to drive the truck to the dealer. Any ideas?

7. kevinb1977

kevinb1977 Junior Member
    from maine

take a jack and jack it up and should be able to set the chain

8. 06Sierra

from Maine

Check your connections at the grill.

9. Jaspell

Jaspell Member
    from 06117

Connections were all okay. I redid everything with dilectic and tightened the solenoid, but no go. I've got it short chained and will bring it to the dealer. Thanks for your help anyways.

10. RedTriton

RedTriton Junior Member

oo so very easy on he silinoid under the hood put a screwdriver between the two studs while someone holds up on the plow controller and away she should go

11. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

Another way to lift the blade with out power and secure the safety/over the road chain is to just push into a pile of snow and stop, get out and choke up on the chain.

12. Jaspell

Jaspell Member
    from 06117

As it turns out, one of the pins in one of the grill connections was bent and not making contact.It's really kind of annoying how one little thing like that can screw up the entire works. It is laos odd that the plow could go from working 100% to 0 just like that. The dealer actually didnt charge me for the fix. (He did note the lift cylinder was leaking and knicked me 275 for that but all in all, it was fairly painless.)

The parts guy told me that the new solenoids fail far less than the old ones so I guess the lesson is that that may not always be the problem.