1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MMI Pin Pulling Gizmo

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Jaspell, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Jaspell

Jaspell Member
    from 06117

Was at the local Fisher dealer today and saw this gizmo that will let you pull out the mounting pins on a MMI without having to bend over. Baasically a 3 foot long tube steel coat hanger type arrangement. They wanted 32 bucks for it. Has anyone seen something like this for less?

I'm cheaper than i am lazy but if I could find similar for 20 bucks or so i might jump at it.

2. 04f250fisher

04f250fisher Senior Member

Yeah they were great for the old speed cast plows. Ive never bought one but ive make them Bend round stock and done 10mins.

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Used them 25 years ago.

5. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I had a broken ratchet strap that I cut about 3 ft off the end. Works pretty good for me and didn't cost my anything.

6. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

I have a little gizmo I use to pull the pins. Ill go take a picture now.

7. SuperdutyShane

Here we go:

[​IMG]

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

Thats a homemade fifthwheel puller. Kinda hard to pull a plow pin with that standing up.

9. SuperdutyShane

Yah, the people we bought it for used it on their Chevy 6500. It works pretty well for pulling the pins actually.

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

Yeah, but you have to bend over......that defeats the whole purpose of being lazy man! :laughing:

11. Jaspell

Jaspell Member
    from 06117

Thanks Repo. I was sure CPW hasd it, I just didnt know what the technical name was.

Jim

12. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Thats the standard release rod that comes with the MM1,it's just a bar to apply leverage to the headgear to get pressure off the pins so they pull easier,it's not like the pull rods these guys are describing.

13. RepoMan207

from Maine

I don't know about that. I know they come with the headgear, or they're suppose to anyway, but as far as I know Fisher doesn't have anything that looks like a fifth wheel puller.

I have one, and I can tell ya they work for crap for leverage...You can't get them anywhere to do anything with them as far as that goes, and still be able to reach the connecting pins with ease. I can lean one hand against the headgear from the side an gain more leverage then that tube could ever provide.

I use the nub on at the end to pop the pin out as I slightly lean against the headgear, then I have to bend over to pull and twist the pin to lock it in disengage mode most times, sometimes I am able to do it all in one quick motion, but even when I have to bend over all the pressure is off the pin and there is no resistance. According to the label on the tool itself it's designed for both function. To tell you the truth I have better luck with my 3' Snap On persuader.

Is this what you referring to Jaspell:

[​IMG]

14. Arc Burn

Never had any problems myself with it,just saying the link to the part you gave isn't what he is looking for.

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

.......so what is he looking for then?

16. Arc Burn

You tell me and we'll both know,seriously, i've never seen anything by Fisher like that,i'm guessing someone made them.

17. RepoMan207

from Maine

Possibly...the whole "tube" thing then the "coat hanger" thing kinda threw me for a loop.

On another note, did you see my question to you on the multiplex / non multiplex wiring thread?

18. Arc Burn

No,i'll check it out....

19. RepoMan207

from Maine

Awesome, thanks!

20. Jaspell

Jaspell Member
    from 06117

Gizmo

The thing I saw at Hartford Truck Equipment looked like Shane's device only a little fancier. The part that CPW is selling doesnt show an illustration so I cant tell if that's the same thing or not. That picture Repo posted is not it at all.