1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MMI headgear.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Fordistough, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

Hi, I am looking at a new 1 ton, and I want to put a 9' Fisher MMI on it. I want to take the headgear off (just the lights, hinges for lift, and hoist) of the plow and perminantly mount it onto the truck. what I basically want to do is create a Fisher Speadcast attachment style, because I do not like the way the MM are set up, I want something tougher. Anyone done this?

P.S. Is this a crazy idea?

2. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

In a word YES!!!!

What is your reasoning for thinking that they are not as tough??? I used to think the same way till I tried one and have never wanted for the old style again. I have owned 9 of the Minute Mount stlye and 5 of the "old style" and can't see any advantage to the way it "used" to be.
  3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

There is no advantage to the old Speedcast style over the MM system. I have both (see my sig). It can be done- you need to replace the pins with bolts to the pushplates, drill and tap through the bottom for bolts to take the play out, replace the keyed pins for the blade to the lift frame with the pull pins, unthread the lift chain and have the solid loop replaced with a grab hook, replumb the hydraulic system with quick connectors on the SEHP for the angle cylinders.
    Those are the minimums.
    Mind you in many states you are required to remove the headgear during non winter months (april through november)....

MM work great and are just as strong and durable as the Speedcast attachment. I didn't like the MM when I first got it either, but after the first season of getting used to it and realising my mistakes in mounting/dismounting I have no complaints.
  4. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

Have you ever done it, or are you just saying that from looking at it? If so, do you have pic's?

Also, I do not like the whole stup of the minute mount system, I loved all of my speedcasts, but they won't make a speedcast frame for a new 1 ton. I have looked at both the MMI and the MMII, and I like the I better, and I think it's tougher. I plow city streets, and my trucks work long and hard.

P.S. I am not concerned about the headgear being removed, because A. I don't think Maine is one of the places that law has passed at, B. I live on an island that has no law enforcement, and do not plan on taking the truck off the island, C. I will be plowing for the city public works, and I am entitled to most of the priveledges that real public works folks get.

Keep the suggestions/comments/ or even insults coming

5. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

:confused: I have not personally done it and don't understand why you would want to but... I am always willing to help.

There is a guy that works in South Portland that has a mid '90's GMC 2500 (probably 94-95) with a MM1 with belt drive hydraulics that has had the headgear (semi) permanently attached to the MM1 pushplates. I think he bolted them together and added the old style pull pins to his pushbeam and quick connectors for the hydraulics. He works at Portland Valve on Madison St. (goes down to the SP boatramp and Bug Light Park) in SP.

I agree with what others have stated. I have both sold (back in my Chevy dealer days) and used both the fixed mount and Minute Mount Fishers and consider the Minute Mount to be at least as strong as the fixed mount if not even a little beefier.

One possible downside to what you propose is that with the modern Minute Mount the hydraulic system is basically a totally closed loop. by going back to the traditional fixed mount with a removable blade you are also adding 2 quick couplers (that were prone to failure), and at least 4 more threaded fittings all of which are possible point to cause fluid leaks or increase the chances of getting water or air into the system (the latter especially with the quick couplers).

As far as A goes. I don't think Maine has that as a law on the books yet either. However, with society being what it is today and the current "excepted standard" in snow plow design being a removable headgear I suspect that if you were unfortunate enough to be in an accident with the vehicle without the blade on but with the headgear in a fixed mount configuration you would be swinging way out on a limb all by yourself ("hello, this is Joe Bornstein calling...")

PS. What Island are you on? not Peaks - no law enforcement
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  6. Brookside

Brookside Member

To answer your question, yes, that is a crazy idea, to permanently mount the headgear of a MM1. Fisher has sold enough of them that if they weren't strong enough, you'd have heard from lots of P O'd people. To do that would be to take a giant step backwards. That said, I rigged our 9' MM1 on our 1 ton Chevy so I could take off the blade and leave the headgear, in an emergency, as in, if I buried the truck and had to drop the blade to get out, and then pull out the blade after. I put quick connects on the angle hoses, put a removeable link in the end of the lift chain, and drilled and tapped the hinge pins and screwed eyebolts in the ends of them to pull them out, and replaced the cotter pins with spring pins in the hinge pins. Thankfully, I have not had to use this feature, but I like knowing that I can do it if needed.
  7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Keep in mind they don;t even make Speedcast moldboards anymore- and won't.

The current yellow moldboard is NOT a speedcast, and dependiong on the age of the MM setup will not interchange. They have changed the moldboard hinge position for better perfoamance on newer ones (MM2), and the ears are a different width from the speedcast- the important thing is the speedcast had a different height and curve angle from the current plows.

No, never done it- never comtemplated it. When I got the MM setup I decided if I didn't like it after a couple of years I'd replace it with something else- possibly a custom built if necessary. Fisher has sold more MM1 plows than any other plow manufacturer in the country. If there were any strength issues you'd have heard about it.

Really I don't think there is any benifit to it, and opening the hydraulic system to those connectors is a major downside. If you said I want to dump the SEHP and go to under hood hydraulics, I'd say I agree, and the connectors would be a necessary evil, but it's not the mounting system where in my issue lies- it's the draw on the electrical system. Which you won;t have since road plowing involves much less blade movement than drives.

BTW if you must do the conversion I would suggest looking into military grade hydraulic couplers- they're much more reliable.