1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM2 X-Blade making a grinding noise on movement?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Maleko, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

I never had heard this sound before. Its not the usual loud scream wine if it gets air or water in fluid. Its more a grinding noise. Pretty loud. When ever i turn left or right. Not as loud when raising.
    I started the last storm it was pretty cold.
    The following day it went away. It was a lil warmer out. I checked the fluid and it looked clean. So today i changed the fluid just for the heck of it.
    The noise kinda came back but not as loud.
    Thoughts. . .?
    Thinking the pump just gave its 2 weeks notice?
  2. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

tuff with out hearing it it might be the motor shaft bushing is about done have u ever chgd it ??when u chgd the fluid did u c any metal filings ?
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yea noises are impossible to diag without actually hearing them
  4. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with diesel can't tell what it is without hearing it.I've heard of multiple things fixing a grinding problem.Like NHresident said it could be a motor shaft bushing,it could also be a bad motor,or something stuck inside the pump.Here is what I would do if I were you.

Drop the reservoir and see if there are any metal filings in the bottom of the reservoir like NHresident mentioned.There is a magnet in the bottom of the reservoir that catches all the metal filings clean all those out and reinstall the magnet.I would replace the inlet fitting and filter,some clean it and reinstall it I replace it for good measure.The kit comes with a new o-ring for the reservoir.I would also check the return screen assembly clean it or replace it.Coat the reservoir o-ring with some hydraulic fluid and reinstall the reservoir.

Inlinet filter kit-http://www.fishersnowplowparts.com/66763-1-fisher-western-inlet-fitting-filter-kit/
    Return screen-http://www.fishersnowplowparts.com/66405-fisher-western-return-screen-assembly/

While you are doing all of this you mine as well flush the system out.Jack the plow up with a floor jack and put a jack stand under the plow.Move the plow by hand in all directions to remove the fluid from the angle pistons.Reinstall hoses and fill with fluid.Angle plow in all directions to make sure there is no air in the system and top off fluid.

If it is still making noise it could be a motor shaft bearing or motor.You can remove the motor from the pump by the two bolts on top.Check the condition of the motor shaft bearing and the motor itself.I have heard of people putting a brand new motor on and it making the same noise and it being the motor shaft bearing.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  5. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

If it's a grinding noise it could be the motor shaft rattling inside the bronze bushing.
  6. jshocik

jshocik Member

You don't say how old your plow is. I had the same thing happen to me, & ended up replacing the motor. My plow is 11 yrs. old.

Over time with older plows, condensation forms in the motor housing, & forms rust, which, over time, scrapes the armature in the motor, causing the grinding I heard in my motor. After removing the motor, I was surprised at the amount of rust in there. I vacuumed the rust (there was that much) up, & after removing the armature assembly, cleaned the hole where the armature came out of with Q-tips until clean. With everything clean, I installed the new motor & it works like it should, fast & quiet.