1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM2 won't go up or angle, checked all obvious/usual stuff

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by peterzereski, Jan 29, 2015.

1. peterzereski

peterzereski Junior Member
    from RI

Ok guys I have a MM2 with fish stick controller (hand held) and when you turn on the fish stick, the red light comes on and when you try to move the blade in any direction except down, it wont work (but the solenoid/relay does "click" but motor will not turn) and the light on the fish stick SHUTS OFF unless you press the power button ON again. After about three tries of this you have to turn the ignition off an back on again before the fish stick will power up. So in other words, it got stuck/broken un the up position and once it was garaged to be worked on I pressed the down button and it did go down no problem.

When I disconnect the 2 pin main power grill connector (like you would to remove the plow), the fish stick does not shut off when you press the buttons like it does when its connected.

What I have done so far...

Tried my controller (fish stick) in a friends truck with MM2 and it worked his plow fine.

Changed the solenoid because I had an extra hanging around (but I am still having same exact problem).

Changed the Motor with a new one (yes..I am an ass and wasted $120 hoping for the easy fix)

Applied 12 volts directly from battery to motor, it turns fine that way.

Checked to make sure pump shaft wasn't seized, it spins easy by hand and is in fact, not seized.

Checked voltage at grill connector had 10-11.5 volts when fish stick is pressed as to work the plow.

Checked for continuity on wires from grill connection to plow, all good.

Cleaned, re-greased all exterior push connectors, they all look pretty good.

The negative from the plow connects right to the battery and the battery is fairly new (less than 2 years old) and all battery contacts look good. No corrosion or green stuff at all.

Was working great all through last storm, then I was literally driving up my street and went to angle the blade and it did not comply. I pressed the down button and it started to drop, so I stopped and tried to make it go up, but no dice. The only thing that happened was I hit a good pothole a few moments before it stopped working.

Its like as soon as there is any draw of power the fish stick shuts off. The connections all look good, but this just feels like one of those, it will run a test light, but when you try to draw any real power it just poops its pants.

Any thoughts?:mechanic::realmad:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Check power at motor terminals. Use jumper cables directly from battery to motor to see if it will run. Check ground from coils to negative motor terminal. Triple check the 3 pin bumper connector. Check fuses out by module. Then check all your connections twice. Check signal wire going to solenoid.

:mechanic:

3. peterzereski

from RI

I did apply 12 volts directly motor and it worked, guess I should have put that on the list. I will double check all the other stuff again.

4. kimber750

If motor runs when jumped, and you have power at truck side bumper connector I would have to say plow side power cable may be the issue. You may be able to spread the male pins a bit to try to get better connection. Coils ground through motor cable. Try just jumping ground motor terminal to the battery and see if it works.

5. peterzereski

from RI

That's a good idea and I will try it. I did remove the big gauge plow end wires and checked them for continuity with meter and those were OK, but I did not check truck side, will do that

6. kimber750

Meant to say negative motor terminal only. Brain going faster than my typing ability. :laughing:

7. peterzereski

from RI

I think I got ya, essentially you suggest grounding the motor directly to the battery.

8. kimber750

Correct. Thumbs Up

9. peterzereski

from RI

Well I am glad to say thanks to Kimber750's suggestion the problem is fixed. The ground wire from the negative battery terminal to the grill connector is junk. It does test ok with a multi meter for continuity, but as soon as you try to run any real current through it, just poops its pants and shuts the fish stick off.

Replaced it with a new wire from the plow shop and now it works better than before, probably because of all the new and totally unnecessary parts I put on!

Thanks again Kimber750!

10. kimber750

Save the old parts.

Glad I could help. Thumbs Up

11. BBC co

BBC co PlowSite.com Addict

nice off to try this out tmmrw :) have the same issue but fish stick does not go out maybe cause its hooked direct to the battery but i cleaned all my connection and under hood solenoid today still acting ******** really seems like a ground, jumped the motor off the batter motor seems fine holds blade up with no issue just wont turn or lift unless it wants to, gonna try just just the negative right now see what it does

12. kimber750

So you are saying motor doesn't run unless jumped?

13. BBC co

no i would hit the up at end of run and hear the motor whinning but no lift then all of a sudden it would lift, then if turning right it was fine but turning left it would twitch left then turn right all the way and would just die no lift no left turning at all.

so i replaced the negative battery bolt clean the negative to the plow reattached it to the battery post and tightened it down then tightened the negative connection on the plow motor. While pressing left and motor is whining and not moving i disconnected and reconnected truck/plow 3 pin wiggled it same issue no change, while pressing fishstick left..

so put a jumper on the batter negative and the motor negative, totally solved the issue plow moved in all directions flawlessly like new, just check each movement 2 times then the motor started whining and would not stop unless i disconnected the truck/plow power connection, reconnected and same issue with not touching the fishstick motor is just all out spinning whining

new solenoid fried ?

i also replaced the battery to body ground connection at negative terminal on truck as well as brand new battery and solinoid under hood, fresh fluid / filter

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  14. kimber750

Sounds like bad ground and bad solenoid but to make sure it is solenoid and not control, unplug the control. Does the motor keep running? If it does stop control is the problem, if not solenoid is stuck closed.

15. BBC co

no disconnecting the fishstick did not stop it had to disconnect power at the grill or the negative battery terminal controller not the issue i think it shorted the solenoid out, but was worth the 20$ experiment to see it work like new and figure out its a bad ground.

great thread and help guys

16. BBC co

threw another solenoid in and its running good definitely a ground issue tho that direct grounding was great idea, can i just run a temporary wire from the motor post to the battery till i track down the bad ground if i need to go plow?

17. kimber750

As long as it is a heavy enough cable I don't see why not.