1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM2 wiring harness

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Nummy, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Nummy

Nummy Junior Member

MM2 wiring harness shorting out?

This summer I bought a 2003 Silverado with a MM-2 fisher plow. When the plow is hooked up and the harnesses are attached the battery goes dead when the truck sits over night. Coming from the truck one of the female connectors has an 11-socket plug on it. One of the sockets on the 5-socket row, furthest from the arrow in the plug that hooks to the headlights is showing 12 volts when the truck is turned off. I feel that this isn’t right and that this is causing the truck to run the battery down. I also feel that this live 12-volt lead is the reason why the last owner said that the plow was causing a major drain on the electrical system on the truck when he was plowing. I had the alternator checked and it’s good and it had blue plow oil in it, as I just changed it this weekend so I don’t think he was having problems with ATF getting cold, turning to molasses and causing a drain on the electrical system. My question is should there be a live 12- volt wire in that harness and if not how can I correct it?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

hmmm, I think so. I am almost positive, but I would be very interested to know the answer as well.

3. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

Does it happen with the blade on/off OR both.CHK to see where the "constant pwr" red wire coming out on the veh control (cable in iso mod port 1)harness is going for pwr.Does it pwr with the key.OR is it some where else and not powering off.??

4. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Everything in that plug the 11 pin one is for the lights. so when the truck is off there shouldn't be any power

This is a quote from the a fisher mechanic's guide for straight blade, 2 plug.

"When the snowplow is not attached to the vehicle, the signal passes through the normally closed relay contacts to the vehicle headlamps. During this time, the
    Isolation Module is inactive, placing no current draw on the vehicle's electrical
    system.

With the snowplow attached, the Isolation Module is still inactive until either of the two following conditions are met: the vehicle parking lights are turned on or the vehicle ignition switch is turned on."

http://www.fishersnowplows.com/pdf/27179_070001.pdf

As for why your getting power I can't really say, it only drains when the plow is connected? wouldn't be a problem on the truck without the plow? might want the check to make sure the live wire on the control harness is tapping a power source that is not on all the time, but is only live when the key is on

5. Nummy

Nummy Junior Member

The battery goes dead only when the harness is connected to the plow. When the key is off I still get 12-volts at the female plug. Not sure if I should have constant power with key off. I understand what you mean about (cable in iso mod port 1) but not how to check it for power.

6. Nummy

Nummy Junior Member

I had this thought earlier today...........I wonder if the 12-volt line is live because the 2003 Silverado truck has automatic headlights that come on as needed. Causing the line to remain live. Any thoughts?

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

I would check to make sure you have the right Module under there. Does your DRL work when the plow is hooked up?

8. Nummy

Nummy Junior Member

Ok you got me. What is a DRL.........Otherwise everything works .Headlights, directional lights and plow.

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

day time running lights

10. Nummy

Nummy Junior Member

Yes , the daytime running lights work with and without the plow harness hooked up I checked that today.
    Also tried to find a short in the plow's harness and ran out of time today.

11. Nummy

Nummy Junior Member

Thanks for the good advice ...........I'll do as suggested and be in touch.........Thanks again

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

Hey Nummy........your in Raymond?

13. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

The wire I am talking about is the red power wire that will be near the plow control, most people run it to the fusebox in the cab and tap a power source. I would check to make sure thats only taping a fuse/power source thats on with the key.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Although there may be an error in your pin location description, if it's the pin it sounds like then it should be ground, not 12V.

Take a look at page 6 here to be certain your pin location description is accurate. If it is indeed the correct pin then replace the under hood motor solenoid as it's back feeding 12V internally into the blk/org ground wire and thus causing a drain on the truck when the plow is connected.

15. Nummy

Nummy Junior Member

Message to Repoman207 Yes I'm in Raymond, up on the Egypt Rd.

16. Nummy

Nummy Junior Member

Message to B+B Thanks, yes it is socket #7 It shows that it is a ground on page 6 on the wiring diagram. I will find the under hood motor solenoid and replace it as suggested. Thanks Again...........

17. RepoMan207

from Maine

ahhh, up on the hill.

If ever you need a hand man, I am just around the cornor 892-3005

18. Nummy

Nummy Junior Member

Message to Repoman207- It's good to know that I have someone near by if I get into a jam. I assume that you have a towing business. Maybe we can hook up someday. Not by accident. hahaha

My next question for the experts is, now that I have located the motor solenoid. I'm wondering if I can get away with a old type Ford solenoid with the 2 prong set-up instead of hunting down a Fisher replacement?

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No, they are wired differently internally. Use the correct solenoid. :nod:

20. RepoMan207

from Maine

Funny.....I use to get the dirtest looks from customers when I'ld say that. Now I don't do public. Too much of a headache and more on insurance. Straight Repos'.

Good to see your on the right track to getting it fixed, & Welcome aboard.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009