1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM2 Spring Retraction

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by plowman1984, Jan 18, 2010.

1. plowman1984

plowman1984 Member

I was wondering if any of you guys have taken off the spring retraction on the mm2 system, and I was also wondering if I did how hard would it be to retract the cylinder by pushing it down?

2. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

I have taken many off "per customer request".. sometimes it is all what you are use to.. some people don't like the delay... The only time you need to colapse the piston all the way is when taking the plow off...( ok yes fisher will say it recycles the fluid.. or cools it blah blah..) and pushing it down varies from plow to plow.. however.. (just an FYI) there is no special spring install tool when putting them on.. I just pull the cable tight with my hand..and clamp it.. The only thing that can adjust how easy the piston colapses is the gland nut.. you coul;d back it off a lil ... or gain some weight :)

3. plowman1984

plowman1984 Member

now if i back off the gland nut, won't fluid leak out of it?

4. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

well it could... but that would mean it is probably only hand tight assuming you have a good packing... fluid does not go by the seals inside.. ( well its not supossed to ..)

5. LON

LON Senior Member

loosening the gland nut won't change anything. All MM2 are supposed to have the low friction cylinders and these cylinders don't use typical chevron packing to seal.
    You don't have to have the spring on there if you don't want it. Just remember to put the plow in the float position before getting out when taking it off and you can push it down quite easily. That is as long as the cyl is of low friction design