1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM2 pushing fluid out the breather ???

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Brookside, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Brookside

Brookside Member

My plow developed a problem today that I haven't seen before, and I hope someone might have a suggestion. After plowing for about an hour, I stopped for a few minutes, dropped the plow and shut off the truck. When I started again and went to raise the plow, it came up real slow and it sounded like the pump was really laboring to do it. I raised it several times like that, and also it angled slightly to the left as it was going up. Once up, it angled back and forth okay. When I looked at the front of the truck, quite a bit of fluid had come out of the breather. I abandoned ship and used our old truck for the rest of the day, but now I've got to figure out what's wrong. I called the Fisher dealer, and he mentioned that they are replacing the metal breathers with plastic ones because the metal ones can let water in. I don't understand why it worked fine and all of a sudden went berserk. Any ideas?
  2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Its not the metal breather, more than likely a pick up tube came off and is having a hard time picking up fluid or the return tube defuser came off and is foaming up the fluid. Easy fix, drop the tank (4 bolts) and see if anything is laying in the bottom of the tank, if its a pick up tube, call the dealer and tell them you need a pick up tube retainer kit, (this was a warranty issue on some pumps so have the serial # from the sticker on the pump with you) or if it s the return tube, put it back on with a small hose clamp. If it isnt one of those to things let us know.
  3. Brookside

Brookside Member

Crash935, thanks for the advice, you were right. When I took off the tank there was a hard plastic pipe and filter assembly laying in the bottom. You can see it's supposed to push up into the pump body and it has an o-ring to hold it in with friction. It has an angle built into the pipe and it's hard to know which way it's supposed to face. It's too late to get to the dealer to see about the retainer kit, I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks again for the help, that was the kind of advice I was hoping to get from the dealer.