1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM2 Pump Resevior R&R

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by jshocik, Dec 21, 2013.

1. jshocik

jshocik Member

Hi, I have a MM2 plow that I've been having some trouble with. The pump makes noise when angling or going u&d. After checking fluid level, & adding fluid, the pump still makes noise, but with the lift piston about 1/2 way up, everything runs normal & quiet, the way it should, leading me to believe the issue is with the pump & not the motor. I want to change the fluid & filter at the end of the pick-up tube, but I wonder if I have to pull the whole pump assembly off to remove the reservoir? Thanks in advance...

2. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Need a picture. They made a few styles. Mine, the motor did have to come off the reservoir. Not a big deal if it has to.
    The screen inside just pops off. Mine was full of black sludge, and the screen was nearly plugged.
    Worked 100 times better after I cleaned it and put new ATF in. The fisher oil was too thin, wouldn't work hardly at all. Had to replace it with the ATF.

3. jshocik

jshocik Member

My truck is an '04 Silverado 2500HD & the original owner had it installed shortly after he bought the truck. Judging by the diagrams on the Fisher website, MM2 service parts page, I have pump #1. The suction filter & reservoirs appear to be the same on both pumps shown. Looking at the assembly on the frame, the reservoir has about 1/2 in. of clearance from the frame. Is this enough room for the reservoir to clear the plow frame?

4. Yes it is. Be careful removing the four screws/bolts that hold the reservoir on. They tend to break. Use the Fisher blue fluid not ATF.

5. jshocik

jshocik Member

I've got the Fisher blue fluid left from the top off, & a friend has some to spare, which is an even better reason to use it!

6. jshocik

jshocik Member

Finished changing the fluid...stayed with the Fisher blue fluid. Everything came apart fairly easy, had to remove the whole pump motor to remove the resevoir though. The only problem I had was with the suction tube. I bought the suction tube replacement kit which came with everything I needed to change the fluid. The new tube didn't fit, so I had to re-use the old tube, no biggie as the tube was still good. Used anti-seize when re-assembling all bolts so hopefully nothing breaks. Just wanted to let people know so as to save them some trouble & time. Now to change the motor....:dizzy:

7. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Did you check the pump psi before changing the pump just to double check?

8. jshocik

jshocik Member

GT, no I didn't...when I hooked it up to check everything b4 the 1st snowstorm, it did nothing but click. I hooked a test light to the motor, hit the up button, & it lit up, telling me everything up to the motor worked. After tapping on the motor w/a hammer, it worked, but makes excessive noises. I did a search on this site to see if others had the same problem, & those that did were told to change the motor, it's just a matter of time b4 it dies, I don't want it to happen in the middle of a storm.

9. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

So are you talking about the motor or the pump? When the pump goes out the plow will struggle to lift itself and it'll be slow angling. The motor, when you change it out swap the bushing too.

10. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  11. jshocik

jshocik Member

GT, I'm talking about changing the motor now...the pump appears to be working fine. It lifts OK & there is no struggling to lift or angling issues.
    After talking to people at 2 Fisher plow dealerships & searching this site, I'm not the only one having an issue with an excessively noisy motor. My plow is about 10 yrs old. As for moisture getting into the motor, I don't know if that's the cause of the motor issue as all bolts are easy to turn, nothing frozen. I believe over the years of being outside condensation in the motor might have takeen it's toll. Or it could be a bearing failure. Won't know anything until I remove it, I'll keep you posted. Thumbs Up

12. jshocik

jshocik Member

Well I tried to remove the motor to see WTF is going on with it...loosened the 2 bolts, & nothing...it's stuck to the pump. Tried some P&B at the base of the motor & tapped w/a hammer, nothing. With a plowable snowstorm coming, I just want to make sure the thing works for now. It does, so it'll have to wait....