1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mm2 pump issue?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mc1, Feb 22, 2011.

1. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

I have a 4 year old x blade the plow started making whing noises a while back only when it was less than 15 degrees now it does it all the time and the plow is real slow. i assume the pump is on its way out but dont want to just thow parts at it. any ideas fluid has been changed annualy with fisher blue
    thanks Matt
  2. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Are you sure it"s not low on fluid?
  3. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Leaking cylinder sucking air? I had a seal go in my XV lift ram and it would whine a little.
  4. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

took it to the dealer they said "we can start putting parts on it to what the problem is" WTF
    after 15 20 seconds the sound stops
  5. stargazer

stargazer Member

It could easily be ice crystals blocking the fluid flow when they jam up on the inlet screen. Changing the fluid should have kept the moisture down, but I'll describe just in case.

There is air above the fluid in the reservoir, there is always moisture in air, it always condenses out when the air is cooled below the dew point. Some slides down the walls and sinks under the fluid so it cannot evaporate, and it builds up.

If a night in a warm garage or a spell of warm weather "fixes" the problem, and especially if it happens during bitter cold, it's probably ice crystals.

Just pull the long bolts holding the reservoir can under the pump (drain first). You will have to thunk it with something to pop it off the O ring. Inspect and clean all the screens. Clean the magnet stuck to the bottom of the can while in there. Wouldn't hurt to have a new O ring on hand, but usually not needed. Clean the O ring seat and put fluid on it before reinstalling. I have some photos somewhere if you need visuals.

Doesn't cost anything except new fluid, which you probably need anyway. I suppose you could reuse the fluid if clean and new, but not if you see ice.
  6. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Agree with everything said above. Its a very good place to start.
  7. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

thanks guys took the easy route put a little bit of iso heat in resovoir problem solved