1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mm2 power problems

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by advl66, Jan 29, 2010.

1. advl66

advl66 Senior Member

i jsut picked my truck up today from a fisher place,got pushplates and some wiring that i couldnt do put it,but when i got home and hooked the plow up,lights work,but the power is getting to the plow,or there isnt any power coking for the power plug,but its grounded.and the controller light isnt coming on in the cab,im bring my truck to the place tmw,and its short chained right now.any suggestions

2. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

check the fuse..

3. advl66

advl66 Senior Member

they were both fine

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

.......I can barley make out what your saying in your post. Take the time to re read what your typing to ensure that others can decipher it.

On to your problem. The lights are half the battle, so your not in too bad of shape. Double check that there is 12v before and after the fuse holder (this is running off the tail end of the control harness in the cab.).

If that's all good, go to your solenoid under the hood. Check the wires that are connected to the 4 posts on the solenoid (motor relay). Are they secured tightly? Double check your connections at the grill as well. Make sure there seated fully.

If still no solution, try this test:

[​IMG]

3port overview.jpg

3port overview.jpg

5. advl66

advl66 Senior Member

sorry i was in a rush,ill rephrase it now,
    so today i picked up my truck today from a local fisher dealer,i had the pushplates installed,and the headlight wires to the headlights to the iso were put in,me and a buddy did the rest last week,but when i got into my truck,and put the controller switch on,the light didnt light up,like it hasnt,so i thought maybe its burnt out,and i poped the hood to see what they did,and it has a brand new solenoid,but i wasnt told about it,so i figured it was a good thing,and i also had them check over the wires to make sure they were done right,and i guess they were. Like i said before i hook up the plow,and only the lights worked,my buddy owns a autoshop,he sells plows but not fisher so he didnt want to mess with it,and he tested the powerplug,it grounds but there is no power from the plug,and i know its not the plow because it worked on the guys truck i bought it from before i put it on the trailer.my father wants me to just take it to the fisher place,its maybe a 15 min drive,and they have some very good rep.

6. advl66

advl66 Senior Member

sorry for double post, its a 3 plug,and a 4 port iso

7. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Like Repo mention, check the fuse from the controller (red wire with a fuse holder. there is a 6amp fuse inside)to the fuse box. You would need a test light to check it..Looking at the fuse is not going to help you. Also, at the motor solenoid there is a brown/red wire (attach to one of the small terminals), check to make sure that wire is secure. While you at it, also check the black/orange wire to also make sure it is secure at the solenoid, and also at the negative side of the battery.

And one more thing, make sure you have a good connection at the controller connector, and at the grill connector..

****Just because it work on someone else truck, doesn't mean it might work on your truck******

8. oarie

oarie Junior Member
    from MA

I am having this same or similar problem. What did you end up figuring out?

You didn't mention in your post but was your motor relay/solenoid getting power? I am not getting power at the primary (small) terminals on my relay. All fuses checked out good. Switched my control box into a friends truck to confirm my control is good. Also switched my isolation module with his to make sure it was good also. My plow works on his truck as do my isolation module and control. Replaced the solenoid twice (had 2 brand new spares on hand.) and that didn't do it. Pretty much leaves the wiring harness but not quite sure which or where to look.

The problem began by all functions of the plow being extremely slow. Kinda indicative of a bad ground I would have thought? When I looked at the relay at the beginning the black/orange wire wasn't even connected nor did it look like it ever was. The terminal on the relay was so corroded I don't think it would have been possible for the nut to back itself off. There were no signs of corrosion on the black/orange wire that was hanging out of the wiring harness so I don't think it was even connected. Is this even possible? If so could it have been left disconnected for a reason?

Bought this truck with plow used last season. Changed filter and fluid at the beginning of this season.

Thanks.

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

Double check your wiring first of all (see pic).

Next, jump the two large terminals on the motor relay (solenoid). Does the plow motor activate?

If yes, replace the motor relay with a new one. If, no, using a set of jumper cables jump the plow motor directly off the battery momentarily. The plow motor should engage.

I'm thinking your issue is one of the following three things:

Bad motor relay.
    Broken wire.
    Improperly installed motor relay.

As far as the black orange wire, yes it should be hooked up.

If your motor is activating fine, but the plow isn't moving, then I would take your pump apart again. Make sure the pick up filter is installed correctly and that it didn't come off. Make sure to clean the reservoir. If the fluid is dirty already, you should flush the system completely and get a new filter and fluid. Also remove the cartridges and inspect & clean them. Make sure the coil wires are snuggly attached when you reinstall the cartridges. If you need further instruction or illustrations, just ask.

If none of this works, you'll need to give us more specific information and description. Preferably in your own thread.

FYI, in the future, you really should start your own thread. You'll get more replies, and it's proper forum adequate.....if there is such a thing :rolleyes:. lol

motor relay.jpg

motor relay.jpg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  10. oarie

oarie Junior Member
    from MA

It is generally proper etiquette to share what fixed your problem when you come to a forum asking questions. This thread was left with no closure. Googling my problem this thread was the first result. Same problem, repeated assistance from kind members such as yourself, no final outcome by the original poster. Talk about poor etiquette.

I appreciate your help so I hope this is not coming off as negativity towards you or anyone in particular, not even the original poster. I know how it is when you want a problem fixed you want it fixed and nothing more. At some point once it is fixed though it is the reposnsibility of the original poster to put what their fix was. Then we can yell at people who do not use the search function first before duplicating information. My adding to this thread instead of starting a new one was my trying to tie up one loose end, that's all. When I find a fix I will post it here in this thread. The next time someone googles this problem and finds this thread, they will have a probable fix immediately instead of replying to the thread and being told about proper forum etiquette. ;)

Cumulatively speaking I have over 10,000 posts across over a dozen forums, 3 of which I own and 3 others which I am a moderator. The largest of which has over 120,000 members and 2,000,000 posts.

If anyone has any ideas as to why I would not be getting 12VDC at the primary terminals of the relay this would help me a great deal. The ground wire (black/orange) is connected to a solid ground and has been confirmed. I have not yet figured out why +12V is not available at the brown/red wire. Any ideas?

Thanks.

11. RepoMan207

from Maine

First off, I couldn't agree with you more on closing out a thread.

I don't think you would have any power at your smaller terminals until you activate a function. Is your controller lighting up with your plow connected and the key in the on position?

Have you checked to make sure your accessory (small red wire running off the end of your control harness in the cab) wire still has a good connection, and that the fuse is still good? It might be a good idea to check both sides of the fuse holder with a test light while your there.

12. oarie

oarie Junior Member
    from MA

Thanks. I'm glad my post was not taken out of context and you understood what my motive was in posting here in the existing thread.

Anywho... you are right about there not being any power at the relay unless a function is activated. The way a solenoid works is when you perform a certain function +12VCD is put to the primary (smaller) two terminals. Generally it does not matter where the positive wire and the negative wire are placed. There were no markings on the terminals and no instructions that said they needed to be a certain way so I assumed that this was the case and it does not appear to be necessary to hook up the wires to the primary or even the secondary terminals in any particular order.

When power goes to the two primary terminals this causes an electromagnet to "bridge" the two secondary terminals. Effectively when you put a jumper across the two larger secondary terminals you are bypassing this requirement of the relay performing this function.

My problem seems to be that the brown/red wire never gets +12V so the relay never relays. It could be a broken wire within the wiring harness but I didn't know if there was someone familiar with the electronics to know where the +12V on the brown/red wire comes from.

The things that I know are functioning properly are:

1. the plow itself and all wiring not under the hood
    2. the isolation module
    3. the control box
    4. the wiring that powers the motor (2 prong +/- 12VDC feed)
    5. the relay

I don't think that leaves too many other options. The problem probably is within the wiring harness. Is there any easy way to check this with a multimeter? Where would I need to trace the power back from that would go to the relays primary terminals. Like I said I know I've got a good ground to the relay but the +12V lead never gets "hot."

13. advl66

advl66 Senior Member

i brought my truck to a local fisher dealer/service repair center,they said the solenoid was bad,they put a new one on,and they said i had it hooked to the the fuse wrong.My controller had no light,no controls, but after they went threw all the wiring they found the bad solenoid,and the fuse problem.Then after they fixed it for me,my plow would go left and right,but not down,turns out one of the little pins on the controller connector was busted,so i bit the bullet.Bought the new fishstick. and now my plow works great,got a list of stuff that was recommended to be change or upgraded.

14. oarie

oarie Junior Member
    from MA

Glad to hear you got yours fixed, I'm still trying to diagnose mine. I exhausted all of the local options with the exception of biting the bullet myself. My stubborn nature will not allow me to go that route until this thing really whoops my butt good. I've got some fight left in me and some time before the next storm so I'm going to try until Monday before I bring it in for the experts with their fancy Fisher meters.

One thing I should also mention is that when I move the stick up, left or right the light goes out on the control box. I do not believe this is normal operation, correct?

I'll still post what my fix turns out to be in this thread in the event that someone else comes across it in the future. These forums sure are damn handy in the middle of the night when you can't ask your questions directly to an expert. All this information being available 24/7/365 is a great resource and saves people so much time and money and many many headaches!

Thanks.

15. advl66

advl66 Senior Member

im not to very smart,with all electronics and what not,and i didnt feel like screwing something up,which is why i brought it to them,i have alot of plans to upgrade alot of stuff on my plow this summer, Best of luck with your plow