1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM2 plow will not lift or angle

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by pongo70205, Dec 10, 2013.

1. pongo70205

pongo70205 Junior Member

Hello, I have a MMII with the three plugs and an Insta act pump on 01 ram 1500 SLT 5.9L. Last year it worked fine and was put away for the summer working good, but I left it uncovered. well, I just connected to the truck and the plow will not lift or angle. I get a clicking sound and lights will dim on the truck when I try. There is voltage at the pump motor terminals on the lift frame. I cleaned the battery cable connections at the plugs and tightened the battery cables. Still no action only draws power and clunking sound. Could it be a solenoid or pump is seized. should i clean the rest of the wires going to the valves. What else can check before going aggressive repairs? We are expecting some snow tomorrow and I would like to be in the game. Thanks :confused:

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like bad motor. Try tapping lightly on motor will while a helper pushes up. Stay clear of the plow.

3. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

That's definitely a motor issue. The tapping should free up the brushes as they stick which causes such a large draw.

4. pongo70205

pongo70205 Junior Member

Thank for the reply. That is what I was afraid of. How do you replace that? is it just the two screws on top of the case or is there anything at base. I see what looks like two little set screws at the base, or is that just a rust spot. I will look at closer when I get into the garage .

5. pongo70205

pongo70205 Junior Member

Thank you for reply. I was afraid of that. I hit on the motor lightly but nothing. I will try it again with a helper. But how difficult is to replace the motor on this. It is the vertical pump with motor on top . Does the motor come out alone or do you take valve body as well. The bottom half looks like the fluid tank. Again thank you

6. pongo70205

pongo70205 Junior Member

Thanks again for your help. I gave the motor a few gentle taps on the top edge and on the torx screw, as a helper hit the controls and wham it responded nicely. But it was a little noisy at first and same with the side to side angling. The motor had a scrapping sound. Which I suspect is what had caused it to stick. Should I open up and hit with a wire brush or will it work it self out. Concern is will the rust or crud that was stuck make its way down to the fluid and cause some blockage in the filters or ports.

And looking ahead to spring, what should I do to keep this from happening again. Normally I leave it in the driveway sitting in direct sun, and under a cover. except for this year the heavy winds we got blew it off.

7. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I suggest just getting a new motor. It is only a matter of time until it stops working again. Tapping on it is only quick diagnostic test, not meant to be a repair or fix of the motor.

8. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

You could try removing the electric motor from the top of the assembly being careful not to let the armature slide out of the motor, there is a good chance that there is a ton of crud inside the motor, blow it out with an air gun and reassemble and see how it operates.