1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mm2 noise

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by hammerdown82, Jan 22, 2013.

1. hammerdown82

hammerdown82 Junior Member

I have a mm2 that is periodically making a high pitched noise (squealing) when going up down and right left. seems to do it when first used after sitting in the cold. . ISounds like from the motor. is there a way to service the motor . Was planning on doing a fluid and filter change but concerned that may not fix it. Any help would be great

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

It could be a few things, fluid is first and foremost. The fact that it doesn't do it after initial use tells me it's most likely your pickup filter being clogged. It could be it's short on fluid as well...or it could be your fluid has water in it....or it could be sticking valves due to fluid contamination.

Here is how to fix, go one step further then just changing the fluid and filter, drain it, pull the valves, and clean them & their bores. Clean the reservoir, change the filter & tube, reassemble, and fill it up.

3. hammerdown82

hammerdown82 Junior Member

Repoman thanks for your input. What can be used to clean the valves? Last time I changed the fluid I could not get to the filter because I snapped 1 of the bolts that holds the resvoir to the pump. So now I would have to pry the resvoir off or cut it where the bolts are breaking. What is the best way to re-attach the resivoir once i get it off.

4. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Get some sea foam deep creep and spray all the bolts, even the one (or ones) that broke. They should come out pretty easy after that. My plow is a 2001 and I didn't have any problems taking the bolts out. I did break one putting it back on, that little extra was a little too much!! It came right out with an easy out though. I had mine apart because of the same issue you had. I ended up changing the bearing sleeve. http://library.fisherplows.com/fisherplows/pdffiles/64595.02_070108.pdf

It still makes the noise every once in a while. Maybe once every time I plow the driveway, it's a huge driveway too.

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

06Sierra is right, soak them well, you maybe able to get them out.

I use fresh hydraulic fluid with a stiff brush to clean. For real gunked up ones, I use K1, diesel, heating oil, and even brake cleaner. Make sure to push in and out on the end of the spool to get it moving and loosen any stubborn contaminants.

In regards to re attaching when done, part number 66607 (or hit your local hardware store and pickup some 10-24 X 5 1/16 machine screws. The reservoir kit is $85 (21830)....just in case you get desperate.

While we're on part numbers...the filter kit is 66763-1.

[​IMG]