1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mm2 new prob

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by stillen, Jan 31, 2011.

1. stillen

stillen Senior Member

Hey guys i have yet another prob with my mm2, straight blade

I just changed the fluid , and all seemed fine. Plow was speedy fast in all directions.... However, when it is cold out as it has been really cold here in central mass lately the plow wont move. I know the electrical is fine on truck because it operates my buddies blade just fine, his truck on my blade will also not move the blade. So i have so far narowed it down to the plow side components.

This is where it gets weird, as i said i did drain and replace all the fluids. If i go out and take a high temp heat gun to the motor the blade starts to operate, ive even just it sit in the sun and the blade operates. As soon as it gets cold it stops working, heat makes it work.....as soon as i can get it to operate it works all day long until it sits unused and in the cold for an extended period of time..

So sounds like I have condensation probs, but i though the fluid change would have fixed that?

any ideas?

thx

2. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Did you use the $9 a quart fisher blue stuff or $2 a quart tranny fluid? But you have an icing issue and its clogging your fliter in the pick up tube. If you went cheap route go over to the blue stuff

3. stillen

stillen Senior Member

I did spend the 8.50 a quart at the Fisher dealer..... Is it hard to change that pickup filter?

heat fixes it, has to be condensation freezing, but i figured the fluid change would fix that, unless screen is clogged with similar and didnt remove all when i changed....

crap i got three storms coming, first two are dumping 22in+ (tue/wed), third is another 12in(sat)

4. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Ditto yeah I've never had a problem with the blue fisher fluid before,it may be alittle more expensive but its not worth the headaches with the cheap stuff never mind draining it all again.Did you change out your filter in the pickup tube? I would also check and make sure all your valves are in good order if the fluid change doesen't fix it. Look on page 8 in the file below

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  5. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

throw some dry gas in. See if it will stop it from freezing up

6. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

He has a MM2 which is the insta act not SEHP

7. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

ahhh, you didn't change your pick up filter....did you just clean it?

By the sounds of it you didn't do a full flush. You most likely have crap fluid and god knows what else around your valves. I would suggest a full on flush, valves, lines, rams....the whole 9 yards. You do that, and I bet you won't have anymore issues.

At the very least for now, pop out the valves and clean them up with brake cleaner or similar, re lube the o rings with fluid prior to re installing. let some of the fluid drain from the cavities and inspect for any blockages or gunk in the bores. Re install and top of the fluid.

Time to buy some more Fisher Fluid! You should scrap whats in there when you get around to flushing it.

FLUSH PROCD. Follow the directions this time and you'll be ok.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You're heating the motor, or the reservoir? If heating the motor helps then it needs the motor cleaned out or replaced. If you're heating the reservoir then you still have water in the fluid.

10. ElberyLandscape

ElberyLandscape Junior Member
    from MA

Ive had that same problem for the whole season just keep heating it up and it works but today it stopped working all togethter even with heat. So i took off the resivour and i found a big chunk of ice and sludge in the bottom of the can and the filter was covered in sludge and crap. If i were you id take the can off and clean all of the inside of that and i bet it fixes your problem.

11. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Don't know if I would put dry gas in there. I heard that a couple ounces of Seafoam transtune works good though.

12. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

GUYS. JUST FLUSH THE SYSTEM, CLEAN THE FILTER AND RESI THEN REPLACE WITH FRESH FLUID....... It's ice and sludge in the resi. Even if you drain and replace fluid without popping the motor and cleaning out the resi and filter you will still have a ****** acting pump. If it's anything else, feel free to send me hate mail.

13. RepoMan207

from Maine

This is one of those moments that you need to smack yourself in the forehead...this thread is almost 2 years old. :nod:

14. stillen

stillen Senior Member

repoman....

don't smack yourself in the head, just yet...

Whats ironic, even though two years old... Just this past weekend I went and got my blade out of storage, you know for the impending 12 feet that is predicted for this year :)

anywho.... drove in, hooked up... NADDDDDA ... just clicks from the relay.... I knew nothing was frozen from ice because its 60 degrees out..... Went back in my truck, grabbed my breaker bar and gave the motor two good whacks. ... Worked like a charm...

I knew now the motor had built up some corrosion, and that is what was causing it to "freeze" up... Got everything back to my garage, dropped the blade... Took the motor off, there was tons of gunky crap ( yes gunky crap, new industry term) in the motor. A white / blueish powder, similar to battery corrosion. The shaft actually was rusted to the can (side of motor housing)... I took the motor apart, it slides out. I cleaned it with some break free, took the cap off, slide the armature out, cleaned the commutator, the brushes, basically everything inside...put it all back together and its better than new.... Well we will see when the snow flies.....

15. ducaticorse

from we

Hey, I searched sealing info on another issue, and this came up. I just responded to it without looking at the dates. Besides, its not like what I posted was irelevent or useless information. It could benefit someone in the original thread starters position in the future. You know, like when a new guy gets harrasses for not using the search feature? Now he has some insight as tobwhat his problem may be instead of having to rehash an archived posted subject. That is my story and I am sticking with it....

16. RepoMan207

from Maine

lol, whatever makes you feel better :drinkup:

17. stillen

stillen Senior Member

nah this is perfect... every year around this time we see the same posts.... its good to have a few things to help us diagnose the probs

18. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

I'll add my .02 to the two year old thread.... This is what my reservoir looked like after a "fluid drain n fill and then the subsequent non working plow.... The discoloration is all the frozen water that was sucked into the filter... It eventually melted on the bench and separated from the fluid.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. ducaticorse

from we

eeeeeewwwwwwwww. My MM1 looked like that the other day but the fluid was brown. Doing the MM2 Tomorrow after I grind the two pump to frame mounting bolts off because they seem to be permanently one with the pump now.

20. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

You mean you snapped the two bolts that hold the pump to the headgear bracket?