1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mm2 motor replacement

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Ron G, Jan 3, 2016.

1. I have a MM2 straight blade 8 foot HD plow. I may need a new plow motor. I can't find a video on the internet showing the replacement, so I am asking here. I loosened the 2 through bolts a few turns to see if the motor comes loose, but it does not. I tapped it with a rubber hammer a few times pretty hard, but it is still solid--no movement. How hard do I have to smack it ??? When I finally get it loose, will it fall apart when I lift it ??? From pictures I've seen, it appears that there is nothing holding the armature in the motor. Any help is much appreciated.

RON

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

The motor is just seized to the pump base.
    Metal....aluminum.....water and electricity=corrosion.
    Loosen bolts a tad more, and tap away.

3. OK, I'll soak it with penetrating oil and hit it a little harder. The thing I'm worried about is what will happen when I finally get it loose and lift it---will the armature fall out ???

RON

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No it shouldn't. Been a little bit since I've done one....but you should be ok.

5. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

recently replaced the motor on mine as well. Had to smack it pretty hard and get at it with a scraper and wire wheel

6. Motor

How about when you finally lifted it up---Did it fall apart, or is there something that holds the armature in ??? How about the new motor ???

[/
    RON
    COLOR]

7. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

when i got the motor off it was in 2 parts. the outside steel cover, and the inside electrical parts that were frozen up and had to gently pry off.

8. Motor

How about the new one---Was there anything that held it together or did that fall apart too when you turned it upside down to install it ???

9. Ramgto

Ramgto Junior Member

There is a plastic piece that holds the armature in with the two mounting bolts during shipment. When replacing the motor that piece needs to be removed. You will need to hold the armature in place when putting the motor on the housing and lining up the notch for the pump.