1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM2 Loud Whine

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Gmgbo, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

Today I attached my 2005 MM2 Insta- act. I had to hammer the electric unit to get it to work. When I raise and move the plow side to side a loud kind of whine comes from the pump. The fluid is full....any ideas?

2. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

So its not working? Could be that the electric motor is spinning but the hyd. pump is broke and thus not pumping so you get the whine of the electric motor with no load on it?

3. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

No it is working fine, but the whine is loud enough to wake you up at night

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Perhaps it has been possessed by my Mother In Law, she whines constantly.:rolleyes:

5. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't run it while you are sleeping it won't wake you up !!!!!

6. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Have you taken off the tank and tried checking the pick up tube and the filter? Ususally when a plow freezes in winter you get a whine becuase of no fluid. Yes I understand its 80 today in CT. I am just saying maybe your filter is clogged. Easy to check and fix

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What kind of fluid?

8. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Some people use ATF others use the Fisher Blue stuff. Both work but the Fisher stuff wont freeze as easy. Freezing plow is a big issue in winter

Unscrew the drain plug on the resevor, drain out the fluid then unscrew the 4 screws on the reservoir. You may need to unbolt the whole pump to drop the reservoir belive there are two 9/16 bolts but use a rubber mallet and "tap" the canister off the O-ring. Make sure you clean out the bottem of the canister as well as the magnet at the bottem. The filter is small and tube shaped. Pull it off, might be kinda hard but it will budge. Press the new one on and reassemble and i think its 1 and a half quarts of fisher fluid, there is a side plug can unscrew that marks the level

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it fully raises it isn't a pickup tube issue. It needs a motor.

Be sure to also check the shaft bushing in the manifold while you have the motor off for replacement. This has been becoming a super common issue as the Insta-act pump units get aged for a while now.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Tapping on the side makes the motor suspect or it could be fluids. The heat will make the fluid thinner so the pump will spin faster. ATF gets thick in the cold and is always thicker then premium fluids as much as 11 times more viscose. If he is running ATF the heat effect is greater an the pump will spin a lot faster now then it will in the cold weather. could be as simple as that.

I appreciate the lesson in fluids though.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  11. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

12. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

Sounds like a motor .. it is possible to be the bushing as well...or just one or the other.. can be an easy fix or a long pain staking one.. Good Luck!!!:gunsfiring::gunsfiring::gunsfiring: