1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mm2 leaking

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by camaro 77, Dec 20, 2009.

1. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

I have an x blade that is leaking out of the a small weep hole on the side of the motor and was told but a few people that it is the pump shaft seal that has gone bad anybody have this happen to them and what was the fix thanks for any help Jeff

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I think you need to be more specific or post a pic to be certain.

3. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

I dont have a way to post a pic but the fluid is leaking out of a small hole right above the manifold block where the lines a installed but it is on the electric motor side "the top" it is a small hole like a water pump has on it hope this makes sense

4. RepoMan207

from Maine

See if you can identify it via this.

qw.jpg

qw.jpg

5. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

you see the motor body at the base of the body there is a small hole say at the 5 o'clock position that is the hole it is right near the screw to adjust the drop speed

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

How bad is it leaking, or is just...seeping? Have you changed or added any fluid to it at all? Is it possible you or someone overfilled it?

7. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

I serviced it yest and plowed 13 hours today and then I started to act up we filled it up hoping to finish up the storm and it is pouring out I had it all apart last year for a complete cleaning and filters and plowed about 3 times since with no problems until today

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

Not sure which one you mean exactly. Is there a nut or screw in there at all. If so I would think it is a bad o ring. If not, it's possibly a brether port, which would lead me to beilve it is just over filled.

What do you mean by
    What else was it doing besdies leaking?

And which number is it....

tre.jpg

tre.jpg

9. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

it is a pump seal.. the only way for fluid to come from the hole is the pump shaft seal... A $3 part.. cause for a bad seal can be over filling the fuild level.. bad motor shaft bushing. to much pressure or air build up in the system.. or on occasion a bad ground can burn the seal... I recently had a freind of mine have this problem ... took it apart.. The seal was installed backwards.. so that is a very uncommon thing when it is new from the factory.. .. hope that helps a little..

10. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

thanks the diagram you show is for the manifold it none of those it is on the motor body itself there was nothing else going on with the plow before this happened i fill it to the bottom of the threads on the fill plug

11. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

plowinginma when you did the seal in the seal in the hyd pump side or the electric motor side of the manifold I am going to take it apart and inspect that seal and see what going on with this thanks for the replys guys

12. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

As was stated, you need a pump shaft seal. You've gotta remove the pump and motor to replace the seal. It's not really that big of a deal though. These are the instructions:

http://www.fishersnowplows.com/pdf/28855.01_070108.pdf

Also, Check your vent. If it's not venting properly, excess pressure in the reservoir can cause the seal to leak.

13. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

thanks alot I noticed when I changed my fluid that there was alot of pressure when I pulled the plug when I blew thru the vent cap I could not I think I will just replace the cap to be sure

14. Santry426

Santry426 Senior Member

so it was just a pump seal?

15. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

is that were yours is leaking from I am putting a seal in it thursday morning I work 14 hrs shifts so that the earliest I will get to it but already got the parts yest came to 35.00 with the fluid and can oring looks like I will be making the installer on my lathe for this but no big deal

16. Santry426

Santry426 Senior Member

How did you rule that part out as being the culprit? I assume that square part comes off so I can see the fluid come out first hand?

17. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

talked to some guys that work on and repair them

18. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

so I got it all apart and noticed the seal dry but did not appear to be torn I noticed that the pump shaft where the seal rides looks to be pitted or it is burned up rubber I think I will throw a pump in it since im there the motor is oily do I leave that as is or what can I clean it all up with that will not hurt any thing I think brake clean may damage the motor amatuer but not positive

19. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I've cleaned motors up after the seal leaked. Use electrical contact cleaner... works fine, won't damage anything.

20. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

thanks alot for the reply