1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM2 intermittent controls

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mrfixitpaul, Jan 21, 2009.

1. mrfixitpaul

mrfixitpaul Junior Member

I need help... My 8' MM2 acts very strange. sometimes it works for hours without a hiccup, sometimes it stops working every few minutes. The backlight on the Fishstik stays on but the red power light goes out and then comes back on...sometimes in a few seconds, sometimes I need to push the power button again. I've been trying to duplicate the problem but can't 'make' it act up. I've tried leaving the plow in float and jiggling all the wires and connections to get it to shut the lights off...no luck....then I'll be plowing and it'll shut down on the first pass...very frustrating. Any ideas on where I can look??
    The truck and plow are garaged nightly and the connectors are clean.

2. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

Ground connections all good? Could be grounding through the frame then losing it intermittently.

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like ground issue.

4. mrfixitpaul

I have checked all the grounds and they seemed tight. I took them apart and cleaned them up anyway. I was plowing for about 3 hours on Wednesday, the first hour was fine then it started acting up again?? Has anyone had trouble with either the 'brain' or the fishstik?

5. mrfixitpaul

Problem Solved

I think I finally cured the problem....While plowing today the controls were really acting up after about the 4th hour, shutting off about every other time I used a function.....I swapped fish stiks with a buddy's and the problem moved to his rig. I bought a new one and plowed another 4 hours steady doing driveways and no issues. Must be something gone bad in the circuit board.

6. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

very possible. also check were the switched power is hooked up in the cab. if it goes to a fuse tap, make sure it is tight.

7. mrfixitpaul

I did check the power supply, no problems. It wasn't losing power to the backlight on the control, just the red power light. I took the old fishstik apart and found some corrosion at some solder connections on the pc board itself but no problems where the harness plugs in.