1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM2 I can't figure this out.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by evilwunn, Dec 20, 2009.

1. evilwunn

evilwunn Junior Member

I have an 2003 F-250 with a 8' MM2 on it. When I put the plow on yesterday I noticed that at an idle when I angled it left to right the battery light on the dash would flicker on for a second and the radio would cut out then turn right back on. I went and had the alternator and battery tested and they are both fine, so I checked all the connections and grounds and they seemed ok too.
    Now here is the really weird part, last night we got about 15" of snow, so I plowed all morning with it and didn't have one issue with the radio or battery light coming on.

But I did find that if I am driving down the road and move the plow left and right the radio will cut out but only if the engine RPM's are above 2,000. So next I tried it in the driveway and at an idle there is no problem, but if I bring the engine above 2,000 RPM's and move the plow left and right the radio will cut out. The battery light has not come back on since yesterday, what should I be checking next? I have no idea why this happens, it doesn't happen while moving the plow up and down either.
    Thanks for any help.

2. diesellandscape

diesellandscape Member

check the radio fuse

3. evilwunn

evilwunn Junior Member

I checked the radio fuse and it is ok, why would this happen only when the engine is over 2,000 rpm's that's what really has me confused....

4. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

You need to look at the alternator belt and tensioner, might be slipping under load. As the RPMs go up the belt tries to ride over the pulleys and is the tensioner is loose it might slip. You might also make sure whoever is testing the alternator is using a carbon pile tester and test it after it has been used for while. The rectifiers in alternators can do strange things when hot and underload

5. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

I agree with PFG's

Sounds like your alternator is playing tricks on you.

Join the club,

6. evilwunn

evilwunn Junior Member

I checked the belt and tensioner and PFG was right, the belt is loose and slipping.
    It is so loose I can spin the idler pulley by hand while the belt is wrapped around it.
    New parts on the way this afternoon I'm going to replace the tensioner, idler pulley, and belt.
    I'm pretty confident this will fix her up, I'll let you know how I make out.
    Thanks to everyone for the help.

7. evilwunn

evilwunn Junior Member

Ok I changed the tensioner, idler pulley, and belt.
    The Idler pulley and the pulley on the tensioner were pretty bound up and didn't spin very smoothly. Also the belt I took off was also about 1" longer than the new replacement.
    Put it all back together with the new parts, hooked up the plow, no more flashing battery light, and the radio doesn't cut out any more.
    Thanks again :drinkup: