1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mm2 EZ-V with slow moving hydros?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Shop's Lawn, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Shop's Lawn

Shop's Lawn Senior Member

This is my first fisher plow. It is the 9'6" EZ-V on a 1999 f-350.
    I did get it used this past summer. Here is the problems- First thing I did when I got it was drain the fluid and put new in the pump. I didnt drain the turning cylinders but when I drained the pump it was in the v- position and the lift ram all the way down.
    It seems to work pretty good then it starts to slow down. Mainly the turning/v- rams gets really slow. After about 10 hrs of usage it did need alittle more fluid so I filled it up. Then it started to work great again- now fluid is full and still gets slow moving rams.

Any suggestions to solve this problem? Should I put in new valves? Clean them?
    I only have western plows before and this fisher is new to me.

2. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

I am sure when you replaced the pump that you instaled a new filter or at least made sure the screen was clean.. and that the Oring was good on the pick up tube.. You could check your pump pressure relief valve.. Do both wings move slow at the same time? is it slow only forwards or backwards or both?? (could narrow it down a bit) You could also check the cossover relief valves make sure there are adjusted properly..There are both primary and secondary reliefs that need to be adjusted in order..The primary relief must be out 1/4 a turn out more than the secondary relief... you could also check the vent cap..with out more specific info I would start with that.. ..

3. Shop's Lawn

I never replaced the pump. Only thing I have done to the plow is changed the fluid when I first got the plow last summer then again right before winter. It moves slow both ways- forward and backwards.
    I know when I checked the fluid there is some pressure in there when I take off the fluid fill plug so maybe the vent cap is bad?
    Lifting ram slows down also but not as much as the wings do.

4. plowinginma

from MA

Oh sorry miss unsterstood.. (or just plain read it wrong LOL) Ok well the same would apply except you could check everything.. and yes you could need a pump.. Does the motor slow down after that much use or does it seem to speed up?? They normally don't slowdown from the hydraulics getting warm.. You would not really notice that if everything is adjusted properly.. if anything it would respond better.. And the system is pressureized so the vent is working properly.. depending on what type of plowing you do..and how you plow there could be a battery not up to par.. sorry to be all over the place but there are many things that can cause that type of symptom..you have to kind of rule out what it is not..

5. Shop's Lawn

The truck battery's are three years old. They load test fine though so I dont think it would be that. What do you think I should start with checking out first? Should I start with checking the relieft valves and readjust them? I'm not sure if they are not right at this time. On this plow I dont even know how to do that yet but fisher seems to have a good on-line manual if its on there.

6. Shop's Lawn

I forgot to mention also that there as always been like a noise like there is air in the system or sucking sound when I try to move the wings in the scoop position- It is there alittle abit when you go put it in the vee but mostly going into the scoop position. Hard to put it in words but sounds like its trying to suck for more fluid or trying to bleed out air. Also it works better if the blade is on the ground or close to be on the ground then put it in scoop position it seems to be faster this way.

7. plowinginma

from MA

That is a discription that sounds to me like you are low on fluid.. you could start with the simple stuff first and elimate those and go into it more if you don't find the problem.. I would start with the fluid level.... if it is full. Take note to see if the fluid is clean or dirty..milky or foamy is bad also... I would drop the fluid and see if the pickup tube and screen is clogged..or cracked Since this is a new to you USED plow.. I would never sieze everything that you take off and put back on.. I would adjust the the pump relief vale and the cross overs..I would also check the P/O check valves make sure they are free.. these keep the plow from floding back or forward while plowing.. if not operating properly they can cause slow function..(unusual that all 4 are bad.. or equally hung up but ya never know)
    At the top of this page you can go to fisher dot com and get the service manual online.. once you narrow it down a bit I could suggest more things if you don't find the problem with that..

I would also never seize everything you can get free so when you do have to take something off at least you know you can take it apart..

8. Shop's Lawn

what is weird also that when I went to drain or check the fluid I put the plow in the vee position then turn the lift ram to float to push down the ram so its all the way closed- when I do this I can push the lift ram right down- there is no pressure holding the lift ram up. It doesnt close with just its weight but when I push on it there is just nothing there, maybe the fisher float mode is like this- not like the westerns where you do have pressure to push down the lift ram.I will pull it in the shop tonite yet and take a closer look at things. I will post what I find and if it solved the problem. Thanks much for all your help so far!

9. plowinginma

from MA

Some are rather easy some are hard.. if there is no fluid in it it would be very easy.. or a gland nut that is not so tight..or the difuser is for sure off the housing. . as long as it doesn't creep while its in the up postion I wouldn't worry about that..

10. NorthwestPlower1

NorthwestPlower1 Member

I am having the exact problem please keep me posted I don't know what to do. I have taken it all apart. New fluid filter is clean. Took truck to dealer battery failed and was under warrenty. Plow move good at first then went slower and slower. Barely finished plowing. Let truck sit couple hours. Used truck plow was faster but still not right and will slow again. I have no idea what to fix. Keep me posted.

11. Shop's Lawn

I didnt get to look at it more since we got 3" inches of nice snow. I had to add fluid three times during a 10 hr run. I had my dad sit in watch the plow for 10 mins with me moving it up and down,scoop and vee and couldnt find anything leaking at all! Its faster when it is totally full of fluid but slows down quite fast after about hr of plowing straight.

12. plowinginma

from MA

Most of the time this problem is related to the battery Truck side.. This is why people say to install the largest battery or altenator 200 AMP.. You could also try cleaning the motor.. If you have 20 driveways in a row and are constantly using the plow.. this is a very common plroblem..(not enough time for the truck battery to recover)
    AS for adding fluid fluid everytime. Thats not right either.. If it is not leaking it must be air still in the system..(never heard it taking this long to bleed but ya never know).

13. NorthwestPlower1

NorthwestPlower1 Member

This is not the battery or alternator. I just took the truck to another Ford dealer to have the alternator retested a second time. Not the problem. The hydraulics keep moving slower and slower till the plow will barely raise and turn. I just got off the phone with Fisher tech support and he is telling me to test the motor while you have someone lift the plow If it draws more then 225 amps the motor is bad. (i thought it said 265 amps in one of the Fisher guides I read online) Plow was drawing so much that it was resetting my GPS in the truck which totally makes you think it is the alternator or battery. My Fisher dealer does not seem to think it is the motor while Fisher tech support kinda does.

This guy may be onto something. check out post # 6 http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=94196

I will take mine apart to check a little later before I go spend the money on a motor.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  14. NorthwestPlower1

NorthwestPlower1 Member

Per Fisher Tech - unscrew bleeder valve on top of reservoir once full of fluid run plow through all cycles with cap off. Their will be no air left in system. Replace cap you good to go. Once cap replaced there will always be between 9-11 lbs. of pressure in the reservoir. Per Fisher tech support.

15. plowinginma

from MA

OK so sucking sound = motor armature and brushes making the noise.... could be !! hey maybe the seal is blown and there is fluid in there too... could be !! could be alot of things... In therory if a motor draws 200 amp everytime you hit the plowfunction.. How many times before your out of juice to the batery? If you have a 700 amp battery a few.. if its a 1000 .. a few more.. Could be!! A motor that had a bad bushing would progresivly get way worse one would assume.. could be !! I personaly add fuid to the plow differently .. but yes you are correct in adding the fluid and function the plow with out the vent cap on..Hope you find the problem .. the answer is somewhere here.. LOL

16. NorthwestPlower1

NorthwestPlower1 Member

Ok guys just a little follow up. It hasnt been snowing so I havent been extremly motivated to fix but have gotten into it now. I took the whole motor pump assembly off the plow to work on. One of the screws that holds the motor on fell out into my hand. I am guessing from vibrations and such from plowing. I will apply a very small amount of lock tight on reassembly. I used my plow in storm till motor wouldn't move plow and plow was shorting out power to all truck accessories. I am replacing the motor also because of this. Since the bolt that holds the motor on fell out I assume the motor was somewhat loose which caused my motor bushing to wear some causing the problem i linked to a previous discussion topic in previous post. I have ordered Fisher Part # 64589 which is Motor Bearing Sleeve Repair Kit. Once it back together I will post update. Note if you catch this early you may be able to save your motor. I am not gonna chance it. I will get old motor rebuilt for a spare.

17. NorthwestPlower1

NorthwestPlower1 Member

Final update. I have taken out the bushing and pressed the new one in with the tools supplied by the kit above. The old bushing was worn to a point where it was very easy to get out it was sliding in and out. Not the way it supposed to be. I put the new motor in and she works like new. Hope this helps.

18. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Bringing this one to the top.

I have a MM1 EZV that is rough but I bought for cheap as a backup. It has a noisy pump/motor assembly but otherwise seems to operate fine (already changed fluid). I found this thread referencing part # 64589, However, I don't seem to get any hits on this part thru most online parts houses - except Jacks does list it for $45. Is it discontinued? I went back to the exploded parts diagrams for all MM1 and MM2 EZ-Vs insta-act hydraulic kits and don't see it listed at all there (not sure how to identify what "series" I have so I checked all) so not sure how anyone found that # to begin with???

All I can find for a bushing there is for a straight blade insta-act which is part # 64596(-1) which is referenced here when talking about a Western Unimount MVP but the reference was from memory and perhaps they didn't realize it was in response to a V plow question:
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=117444

That does come up for around $5 on Ash Supply...

Any insight is much appreciated.

19. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Anyone have input?

20. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

To the top post... chirp chirp