1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM2 Chattering after angling Left.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by grec-o-face, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

Doing some clean up today, I noticed the blade kind of "chattering" when coming to a stop after angling Left. It's nice and smooth while stopping after angling Right. I've never had it chatter like this before.
    All other functions are smooth.
    I'm using a Fishtik controller.

I checked the fluid, and it's filled correctly.
    Also checked the pins for slop - everything seams ok...

Any ideas?
    (I hope I'm not being to vague here)

2. grec-o-face

I'm going to try my back-up fishtik - see if that changes anything,

3. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

is the hyd chattering or is the trip edge tripping on the ground ?

4. grec-o-face

Def not tripping. This is happening while angling with the blade UP. It's gotta be hydro's. Do you think the fishtik could be causing it? ( I haven't tested with my spare controller yet)

I drained and cleaned the reservoir about a month ago -

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Try the controller swap first Aaron as they will cause this if the smooth stop function is dying or you have a wire about to break off. If it doesn't help then there's probably debris in the pilot check valve, one of it's springs are damaged or it's spool is tight in the bore (bent or corrosion). Have to pull it apart and take a look see.

6. grec-o-face

Alright... I tested with the spare controller. No change.

We had a few inches this morning and the blade worked fine (but still stopping abruptly after angling Left - It's not so bad that it's violent, but enough for me to noticed it).

Could it end up being catastrophic without a repair?

What's my next step?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

So it's just stopping quickly, not chattering to a stop? Or perhaps it appears it's chattering when in fact it's simply stopping quickly thus any slack in the pins and such are giving the appearance that it's shaking back and forth. Need to identify which it is because one is a controller issue and one is a pilot valve issue.

The handheld controllers often lose their smooth stop feature all of a sudden therefore giving you the solid stop with a little shake at the end when it's not run fully against the stop. And it's always the left angle smooth stop they lose first. Doesn't hurt anything though.

However if it's a pilot valve issue it should be at least removed and inspected so it doesn't cause later issues such as total lose of both angle functions.

8. grec-o-face

Mike,
    I thought it was just a failed smooth-stop function. BUT, it's exactly the same with two controllers. I'd think it would be odd for two controllers to exhibit the exact same failure. And, it seams the smooth-stop is still working, but coming to a more abrupt stop than after angling RIGHT.

Also, when fully against the RIGHT stop, if I apply RIGHT angle, it just triggers the solonoid and there's no movement of the blade (just the usual motor strain).
    But, when fully against the LEFT stop, if I apply LEFT angle, it triggers the solonoid and there's about an inch or two of blade movement with a slightly different sound.

Of course, I know you can't hear the sounds - and can't see the "abrupt" stopping. :drinkup:

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's a normal characteristic simply due to the way the valves function. It's always been that way...you just never noticed it until now because you're closely watching it.

Pull the pilot valve assembly and inspect it for anything out of place when you have a chance. It won't damage anything to run it as is until you do.

Note: Be sure to pull the pin half first and then the spool half, then reinstall the spool first and the pin last. You'll see why once you have it apart.

10. grec-o-face

New sympton

Mike,

There's another symptom here. While pushing the 20" storm, I noticed the cross-over seems to be opening easily. Even the smaller/lighter piles are causing the blade to angle. Add to this that the blade appears to be a bit slower with more of a hydro sound.

Got some fluid seeping from the fill plug too. Not a ton, but enough to notice.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's time to pull the reservoir and check for debris. If much is found then it's time to strip the valve manifold for a clean out and inspection of all the valves and related parts. You may have something slowly coming apart and contaminating the system or there's still valve or spring issues. Some good inspections would tell us more.

12. grec-o-face

I did a reservoir clean out and just before the season. Everything looked good THEN. I guess I'll do it again tonight.

How far should I go? If there's no debris in the res, should I proceed with the valve assy take-down? If so, will I need any "one-time use" or "should replace anyway" parts?

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Should at least pull the pilot and cross over reliefs for inspection and the main valves for a clean out even if the reservoir doesn't look too bad. Remember, all debris doesn't make it's way back to the reservoir thus it can very easily be lodged in something else.

O-rings are usually re-usable however I suspect you're going to find a damaged one on the pilot valve spool so expect to replace at least that one. The hex plug o-rings are almost always re-usable.

14. grec-o-face

So should I go get a "66785K"?

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Actually the poppet assembly is a 7630K, but yes it certainly would hurt to have it on hand.

16. grec-o-face

Is that a yes on the 66785?
    And a yes on the 7630?

EDIT:

the 66785 is for V's

17. grec-o-face

Could't do it tonight - a job came up - and of course, while I was there the blade acted up EVEN MORE. First the old "crossover opens super easy" then an old favorite "angling and nothing happens for a second, then it works". I called it quits. Gonna drop the blade in the AM. Take it apart on Friday. :(

18. grec-o-face

This is what I've found:

**Fluid was a little low (because of a small crack running perpindicular along the top of the threads at the fill plug) - I'm gonna need a new res.

**The fluid was clean, with very little debris

**When removing the Allen head plugs, I found the forward facing one Hand-Loose... hmmmmm

**I replaced the Poppet Check Valve and related springs (7630K) The O-ring appeared to be ok

**Everything's back together and seams to be working - But I can't really check the crossover relief

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Keep an eye on it and let us know how it works once it's actually run. The loose hex plug could allow air into the system but it should have also seeped a little fluid so I doubt that was the actual cause. And yes be sure to replace the reservoir. If fluid can escape water can get in and the crack is from over tightening the fill plug if you didn't catch that.

20. grec-o-face

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.