1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM2 bad coil? Or cartridge?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by grec-o-face, Feb 11, 2012.

1. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

When I angle left, the blade jerks And angles right. Also, when I raise the blade, the motor spins without any action - then (after some time or a few tries) it will lift the blade.

History: in two seasons, I've done two S1 valves - so there's definitely debris in the system.

2. grec-o-face

All other functions seem to be ok.
    I suppose it could also be the blade side harness???

3. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

angle left is s2 and s3. angle right is just the s2. so if you try to angle left, and only the s2 shifts instead of the s2 and s3, it will to right. The s3 by itself is up. so it sounds like your problem area is the s3 cartridge, but the cartridge itself might not be the problem. the grill connector might be a good thing to check, especially since it's an intermittent problem.

4. grec-o-face

I know it's the S3. But just like you said, is it actually the valve? Or is it something before it - the coil failing? The wiring / grill plug?

Would the coil fail / function intermittently?
    Trying to narrow it down a bit before I buy unneeded parts.

5. I would start with testing/checking the control harness 3 pin plug. They are a common failure item that shows up intermittently first. They are repair ends available. If you can get some one to operate the plow control while you wiggle the plug right where you can see the green, white and blue wires, it should act up if it is bad.

6. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

You've tried another controller correct?

I only ask because I had an SEHP with a Fishstick that did the exact same thing. The circuit board quit on me (or malfunctioned) and would not do what I asked. I'd try to lift the blade and it would start then immedietly stop and just angle left. Then it would work, but then I'd go to angle it right, it either angle a little then go Left or just go left right away.

8. grec-o-face

Yeah - the blade does the same thing with both of my fishsticks. I think it would be one hell of a coincidence if both of my controllers were failing EXACTLY the same way. But I guess, it's possible. I'll start with the wiggle-test later this week (when temps get above freezing) and report back.

9. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah that would be, but if they are the same age then its possible. Doesn't take much to kill those circuit boards.

10. chevyzrule810

I know the fisher dealer I go to let me try my plow with a new fishstik to see if that was the problem.

11. bob00

bob00 Senior Member

un plug coil and rig some light like trailer marker light see wath happen if light blink all kind of funny way you got an electric probleme

[​IMG]

and use some real light not led, led dont draw enough power

sometime wire beak inside the wire insaulation so it give power but not enough to propely power the coil

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  12. wow...........

13. grec-o-face

:laughing:

Picking up the 3-wire plowside harness and S3 valve in the AM. I'll report back tomorrow.

14. grec-o-face

REPLACED the S3 (4-way) valve = NOT FIXED

REPLACED the 3-wire plow-side harness = NOT FIXED

Guess it's the truck side harness???? :cry::cry::cry::cry:

15. grec-o-face

What about the S2 valve????

Is it possible it's not shifting fully - filling up with fluid, then shifting???

16. You are just buying the repair ends aren't you???? Did you do the "wiggle" test first?

17. grec-o-face

The wiggle-test didn't turn up much definitive info ....

Just pulled the S2 valve / cleaned it, checked it for plunger movement - seamed OK - re-installed it = NO CHANGE

I bought the entire plow-side control harness - $55
    The 4-way valve - $66

The repair-end for the truck-side is $50 -ish - have not replaced it (yet) -

18. grec-o-face

UPDATE (of all updates) :

Hooked to another blade - same problem.
    Tried another Fishstick on another blade - EVERYTHING WORKS!!
    Tried same known good Fishstick on MY blade - EVERYTHING WORKS!!

So, BOTH of my controllers are BUNK - problem solved. (for now)

19. Kudos to PlowGuy43 for making that call...two bad controllers.

Glad to hear you got it fixed. You do know that you won't use it until next year:cry::cry:

20. chevyzrule810

Two bad controllers that's not good.Are you going to buy a new stick or new circuit board?