1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mm2 3 plug interminnent drop problem

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by maineplow, Feb 20, 2015.

1. maineplow

maineplow Junior Member

Hello, I have a mm2 3plug hd plow and I have a problem with the plow dropping after lifting the plow. It is interminnet and after 3-4 times of lifting it it will hold. I have tried turning off the power on the fish stick and it still drops. If I turn the plow left or right it will stop dropping but as soon as I stop turning the plow it will drop and I will have to raise it 4 or more times to get it to stay up. I took it to a dealer who replaced the drop cartridge and that actually made the problem worse. It used to only happen around four to five times while plowing my drive but after replacing the drop cartridge it happened almost 20 times plowing my drive last night. I took it back to the dealer and now he thinks it is the raise cartridge also causing problems and will replace that next week, but I have another storm coming this weekend and would like to not have this hassle when plowing this weekend. Any ideas of other things it could be? Someone told me to pull the quill screw all the way out and clean it out, but I have yet to try that, didn't know if that was a good idea or not. sorry for the long post and thanks for the help. Also I have tried different controllers and it doesn't make a diffrence

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

S1 valve. Now S1 is the valve that drops the plow so not sure if that is what dealer replaced but it does have an internal check ball. If this is working the plow will not drop. The other check valve in drop circuit is just to direct fluid through the quill. Even if the check valve fails the internal check ball in the S1 will still hold the plow up. So unless for some reason S1 is getting power when it shouldn't your S1 valve needs replaced/cleaned.

3. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Fluid flush and clean S1 as stated. Probably something stuck in the valve.

4. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

From what you describe your S3 valve is sticking slightly when letting off the raise button,could be a number of things,contamination in the valve,swelled stem on the valve,electrical connection at the plug ends or even the PC board in your control.
    We see a handfull of these every season and most are as simple as cleaning the valve.

5. maineplow

maineplow Junior Member

Thanks for the help guys. I think I will start with cleaning the valves and see if that helps before the snow comes
    thanks
    bryan

6. maineplow

maineplow Junior Member

I was wondering why the problem would have gotten worse after the dealer replaced the S1 Valve cartridge? It used to drop 1 in ten or so lifts now it is more like 1 in 3 lifts after the replacement

7. maineplow

maineplow Junior Member

Took all three valves out and cleaned them up and put them back in and I am still getting an interminnent drop after a lift cycle. Guess I will have to put up with until I can take it back to the dealer. It is still under warranty until September so hopefully this gets taken care of. If the S3 valve was sticking would it cause more load on the motor, maybe it is in my head but ever since this problem started it seems like the plow is drawing a lot more off the truck, lights dim, etc...

8. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Were any of the black coils hard to remove and install back onto the valve?

9. maineplow

maineplow Junior Member

No they all came off easy. This is going to sound crazy but I just got in from plowing the 7 inches we got and it never dropped once, last night after I cleaned everything it was dropping every 2-3 lifts.... I noticed this morning though that when I would let off the down button the plow would keep dropping for a second then I would here a click in the controller and it would stop. Not sure what that means, controller bad all this time?