1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mm1 won't move again

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by dmen, Feb 1, 2011.

1. dmen

dmen Junior Member
    from maine

My plow is dead again.The last time with the help of repoman I was able to get back up and running. I was able to get the plow to lift today, but very slowly, then it just stopped moving, I was able to drop it as well, now the motor is working but no movement. Checked all the connections and all were good. when it lifted it went really slow, and moved side to side extremely slow, then wouldn't move at all.Im going to get some dialectric grease and a wire brush and clean and grease all the connections,any other suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if I were to use the plow to just push snow, (we have 12-20 ionches coming) even without it being able to move can I do any damage to the plow or my truck?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  2. ElberyLandscape

ElberyLandscape Junior Member
    from MA

Sounds like you have the same problem i just fixed this morning. The problem is theres water in your fluid and its most likely cloging the intake filter. A quick fix is to heat up the resivour on the pump with a heat gun. But eventually that wont work. To fix it right you need to drain the fluid, take the can off the bottom and clean the fliter and the resivour can itself. When i took mine apar there was a huge piece of ice in the bottom and the whole fliter was covered in sludge. So anyways try heating it up and see if it starts to work ok again.

3. dmen

dmen Junior Member
    from maine

I will try that, the warmest thing I have is my wifes hair dryer, hopefully that will work.

4. dmen

dmen Junior Member
    from maine

I tried with the hair dryer and no dice, i did grease the connections and still nothing. Am thinking about changing out the s3 solenoid tomorrow. I did check the magnetic pull on the solenoids and I did get pull on all different directions except when down is hit. WHen I lowered the plow when it was working slowly it pretty much fell down instead of lowering, and has not moved since. When left, right or up is pressed the motor area does jerk a couple of inches but that is it. if any one else has any suggestions I am all ears.

5. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd say drain the pump and clean the pickup filter and use the blue fisher fluid when you refill it none of that cheap stuff.Have you removed the cover behind the pump and checked the connection on all the solenoids?

6. dmen

dmen Junior Member
    from maine

yes, i checked the solenoid connections, that is what the problem was last time, the s3 was disconnected. it is doing the same thing as last time but all are connected. On the S3 the connections are bent a little, i don't know if that would have an impact on the connectivity or not.

7. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Is it an SEHP or insta act unit? Either way, check the fluid and filter for ice up.

8. dmen

dmen Junior Member
    from maine

Its an SEHP, try not to laugh, but how do i access the fluid and filter to check for ice up.

9. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

I usually start by putting the blade on a moving dolly (can spin in any direction). use a pry bar to lift the blade up if its on the ground already. Collapse the lift cylinder all the way down. get a wire hanger to support the motor, pop the motor off, its two 5/8" bolts. hang the motor from the a frame tower with the wire so you don't rip any wires off. and then drain the fluid. there is a 1/4" hex bolt underneath pull that out. then loosen the vent plug on the side of the tank to let it breath and drain faster. have a drain pan ready. disconnect the ends of the hoses on the ram closest to the motor and drop them down to the drain pan.manually run the blade back and forth (this is why you put it on a dolly) to clear the fluid from the rams and hoses. it usually takes a couple cycles back and forth.

I just did the same thing yesterday on a plow that iced up and acted exactly the same. I didn't have to pull the pump on the reservoir in my case but its a good idea to do it while you're in there. it'll make you more familiar with how your plow operates and you can check the intake screen for ice and shavings.

After the fluid there are two smaller bolts (i think) down in the oil tank that hold the pump down. pull those out and then the pump should lift up. there should be a screen and thats most likely where your ice is. Remount the pump. the trick is to manually turn the shaft so the keyway is inline with the two mount holes on the pump. then manually turn the motor to line up in the same fashion. then carefully put the pump back on and seat it carefully on the shaft. bolt it back in. hook up the angle cylinder hoses. time to refill with plow oil, do not use ATF!

Put the plug on the bottom back in and then fill through the top with the filler bolt is (7/16" open end wrench is what you need). Fill it until the oil comes from the vent plug. run the plow left and right. top off with oil, run up an down. that'll purge the air from the system. when you first run the plow it may act weird and go right when you say left or vice versa, its just getting the air out. after left and right are fully restored, lift the plow and pull the dolly out and run it up and down a few times. collapse the lift cylinder and top off the oil one last time. then put the vent plug back in. this assures the right amount of fluid (and isn't over full).

that's it, you're done. it seems like an involved procedure, but its quite simple, I did mine in 20 minutes yesterday.

10. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I like to fill the reservoir before I put the motor back on. Its a little easier than trying to refill thru that small hole.

11. dmen

dmen Junior Member
    from maine

I will try that, I don't have a dolly, will I still be able to do it by manually moving the plow left and right to drain the rams and hoses? Thanks for the help by the way, the people on this site are awesome.

12. dmen

dmen Junior Member
    from maine

I have to go and get some of the fisher fluid, I am confused on the topping off with oil.

13. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

you can do it without a dolly, just need a little more muscle. topping off the oil is just adding oil to compensate for the air coming out of the lines and cylinders as you bleed it out.

fordfisherman, ever heard of a funnel? :mechanic: i agree, i had that thought the other day too but figured i'd have to gt the funnel out anyway to top it off so...

14. dmen

dmen Junior Member
    from maine

I just bought a gallon of fisher fluid, can i use that to top off with.

15. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

you'll only need ~ 2 quarts or so. I started with about half a gallon in the jug yesterday and had enough.

16. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Do you have the regular ATF (pink stuff int here now? If yes then No you cant top off with. take the fil cap off the top and stick a screw drver in it. Sinc eit wont move I am sure you will find pink slush on the screwdriver. If so you have to drain it, Easiest way to get it going if you dont ahve time. Pull the pin out of bottom so pump is hanging. thake the four bolts out of bottom and drain all fluid out. Jack up plow and move it side to side and it will push out all the fluid.

Oh and the fastest fix but makes a huge mess. Take off filler tube. move blade side to and fluid will be pump out. Then put your bottle of fluid in some hot water on the stove and warm it up. That hot oil will melt all the ice and then the warmth of motor will keep it from refrezzing during storm. but you will have to fix it. its a bad seal betweeen pump and motor

17. dmen

dmen Junior Member
    from maine

I am really a rookie here,so please bare with me, when my wife gets home(watching the kids at the moment) Im going to go do this, to get the motor off i take the motor base cap screw off? And under my reservoir it appears to take an allen wrench to drain the reservoir not a hex bolt, is this correct?

18. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Yes you have to remove the Base lug and all the fluid will drain out. The problem with your plow and every other MM1 in the world that gets left out side is water seeps. so please refer to page 8. You need a new motor flange gasket. Also why you have all this apart. See the filter also replace that. So if you got a lil time. Go pick up some very cheap parts to fix it right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F05FQsNun7A

19. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Oh and one thing would be call your local dealer and see if they can do it for you if you just walk in with the pump. I have seen it done in about 15 mins. And thats was BS'n while he was doing it

20. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

No do not remove those bolts. Pull the cotter pin!!!!! Cotter pins top and bottom. then push out the big pins and remove all the hoses and motor is off. And if you are not mechanically inclined. Go to your local shop and have them replace gasket and fliter and then reassemble

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011