1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM1 with Insta-Act will not move

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mrplowjr_ez_v, Oct 24, 2009.

1. mrplowjr_ez_v

mrplowjr_ez_v Member

Well figured it was time to get everying checked out for the season.

Heres the issue:

I hooked everything up and I can hear the pump screaming but the plow won't move, no left or right or up. I get a little smoke off the battery terminal and the wires are real warm going to the pump

I pulled the plowside harness and everything looked. Checked ground at each plowside solinoid and all check out good. I topped off the fluid.

A few times last year I had a similar problem, I assumed it was frozen as it was the two coldest days of the year. I added some dry-gas to get see if I could clear out some of the moisture and that seemed to work. along with wiggleing the control left to right a few times to break it free.

My thoughts are the pump motor but wanted to get your opinions.

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

If the motor has a lot of corrosion then it would certainly be causing a lot of heat producing resistance...also, check each of your plowside solenoids too to make sure there is nothing clogging them up.

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Same thought as MCW.

4. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

Pull the resevoir and check to make sure the pickup tube is in place, either way it should be replaced now at the start of the season, and new fisher fluid.

5. mrplowjr_ez_v

mrplowjr_ez_v Member

Let me start out to say that yes I know its been neglected and I deserve every bit of what I have comming...payup

Well dug into it a bit more today, all 3 solinoids on the pump checked out at 6.6 ohms. tried to pull the resivor and that didn't want to happen its now soaking in PB blaster. the bolts came out but even a few wacks with a rubber mallett would not break it free.

Tried to pull the motor off and found the following (see attachments sorry for the camera phone pics). Now my next question is is there any trick to getting the pump motor itself off? it turns back and forth but wont pull out. there seems to be a plate directly below the coil does that part come off too? I want to make sure im breaking the right part off.

IMG00022-20091025-1158.jpg

IMG00023-20091025-1158.jpg

IMG00024-20091025-1201.jpg

IMG00025-20091025-1201.jpg

IMG00026-20091025-1202.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  6. mrplowjr_ez_v

mrplowjr_ez_v Member

To my defense, thinking back the problems I had were 2 years ago, not last year... Last year the plow was in the back yard right where it sits today.

7. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

That right there has to be the worst case of corrosion in a motor that ive seen.

The armature just needs to be moved side to side and up and down to break it free, theres also a bearing set in there on the end of it that is recesed into the valve block.

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

what phone do you have? those pics look great...sorry for the off topic comment! lol

Do as Crash mentions...I would honestly just buy a new motor and not bother trying to rebuild that one if that's what you were thinking of doing...

9. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

3rd that. Send it to the scrape yard.

I too want to know what phone you have. :nod:

10. mrplowjr_ez_v

mrplowjr_ez_v Member

As far as the phone is concerned it is a Blackberry 8900 not a bad little business phone, I can't see it lasting like the old nextels being dropped in a slush pile, but with insurance its not a bad little phone/PDA. Its got a 3.0 mp camera, and GPS/WiFi. One thing I absolutly love is the fact you can install the google maps application on it and see satalite and street view maps and it points you out on the map. Its great for basic estimating but I still do drivebys to make sure nothings changed.

Its funny to give someone a tentative quote while you're talking to them on the phone.

The motor is getting junked deffinitely, but going to try to salvage the rest of the pump. with a new resivor, and motor hopefully things will be back in business.

11. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

I would suggest a New power pack.. For the headache, money, and time you are about to go through. It would be about the same when your done .. And when you get the new one you could you use some never sieze and have a unit for years to come..

12. mrplowjr_ez_v

mrplowjr_ez_v Member

I had thought about that... but I remember getting this one used was was in the 800$ range, and new I know it has to be up over 1k cleaning this one up with a new motor and resivor can't be more than 200.

then again... a spare isn't a bad thing to have on hand. ahhh being a cheap ******* has always gotten me in trouble.... maybe I should just suck it up and get a new one.

13. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

There is no substitution for reliability when there is 8 inches of snow on the ground!! If you don't plow for actual customers no big deal.You could always rebuild the one you have .. However.. if everything is that rusted and frozen.. how do you intend on freeing up your pressure and cross over relief valves? I have had not much luck when they are that rusted.. Which means you would need a new/used block/ motor/ can ect.. You might be better to use the good parts as a spares maybe .. cartridges and pump..

14. mrplowjr_ez_v

mrplowjr_ez_v Member

Well this one didn't turn out to be as bad as it looked a little time with the wire brush, a new resivor, motor and finters and shes back in business. just couldn't see spending 1100 bucks on a new pump im probably looking at a new plow next year anyway. For the small amount of plowing I do its really not worth it.

Of course murphy was working along side me, put is all back together and heard an odd swishing sound, look up front and blew a pinhole in the lift line.

I'll grab some pics in the light.