1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM1 wiring

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mccorm, Sep 25, 2008.

1. mccorm

mccorm Junior Member
    from Maine

I am about to install the wiring for a used plow I purchased. It is the 2 plug SEHP MM1 setup. I am wondering what instructions I would use for this. I am installing on a 2001 Dakota, setup is coming from a 2000 Dakota so should be plug and play, however looking at Fisher website I am unsure of what document to use for the instructions. Looking for truck side wiring only.

Any help would be appreciated. Got the push plates installed last night. This should be the last of it.
    Thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

3. mccorm

mccorm Junior Member
    from Maine

Thank you so much! This is greatly appreciated!

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

:waving: Be sure to double check the harness against the diagram so your sure you have the correct harness for the application. Second hand can be anybody's guess.

5. mccorm

mccorm Junior Member
    from Maine

OK, I got the wiring and it looks like the pdf shows. I do have a couple additional questions: :help:

1. I have everything hooked up except the blinkers, and parking lights. purple, brown, and gray wires. My question is where do I hook these into? Do I need to splice into the the positve wire of each in question? So purple blinker splices into positive blinker line?

2. With the above said, I have hooked the plow up and the lights on the plow do not turn on. My truck lights stay on. Could this be because of the above?

Thanks again for all the help!

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The head lights won't switch until you have the brown parking light wire connected. Thats what trips the head light switching relays.

Color codes on the truck are:

R turn: Tan (connect your purple wire to this)
    L turn: Light green (connect gray wire to this)
    Park lights: Black/Yellow (brown wire goes on this one)

7. mccorm

mccorm Junior Member
    from Maine

Thank you , I finally got around to finishing up the wiring this weekend, I have turn signals and parking lights working however I have no head-lights. Truck side lights shut off, but plow side never turns on? Other then checking the bulbs in the plow anything else I should look at?

Thanks

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Check to see if the plow light relays are even clicking when you connect the plow with the lights on. Then have to start checking to be sure you have power when and where you should on the relays if you discover that their not clicking.

9. mccorm

mccorm Junior Member
    from Maine

so the 2 vehicle headlamp relays click when I turn the parking lights on, nothing when I turn the lights on. The 2 plow side relays never click. when I pull the orange black wire from the low beam relay the truck lights come on, when I put it back the relay clicks and truck lights turn off.

Plow lights look good from what I can tell...

Could the plow side relays be bad?

Thanks again

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like the truck light relays are working fine. Need to diagnose the plow relays further. Need to double check your wires are on the correct terminals...

Got 12V on both red wires at the relays? Where did you connect that wire to supply 12V to the relays?

Got 12V on the tan jumper wire at each relay connection when the park lights are on?

11. mccorm

mccorm Junior Member
    from Maine

OK so I have 12 V on both red and tan jumper. The wire to supply power is coming from + battery terminal.

The person I bought this from says the lights worked fine on his truck, except for the high beams. Do these relays fail often? I am wondering if it makes sense to go and try 1 for low beams to see if that helps. Are they independent from each other where if low beam was good and high beam was bad, I would get low beams only? Or do they both need to be good in order to work?

Thanks again you have been very helpful!

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes the relays can and do fail just like any electrical component. And yes the relays are separate, one each for low and high beam...you can see them individually identified in the wiring diagram so you can identify which ones are for each specific function.

13. mccorm

mccorm Junior Member
    from Maine

OK so I tried a new relay with no luck, hooked it up to both high and then low neither worked.

I notice in the fisher docs that they have a 9 and 12 pin setup . It appears as though mine is a 9 pin. How would you know if you needed a 9 or 12 pin setup?

The one thing I will try this weekend is to check for 12V at the black or white
    wires in the plow headlamp connectors at the bulb.

Otherwise I have checked everything in the fisher manual for this plow.

Once again thanks so much for your help. I am trying very hard to fix this myself as money is very tight right now!

14. mccorm

mccorm Junior Member
    from Maine

OK So I tried the last bit and have nothing on the white or black wires on the plow side lamps. The directions say to put a ground jumper on 85 on the relay, but what relay do I do this too, and where would you recommend the ground come from?

It does not appear that any of the wires are cut/broken, so I am a little confused...

Any additional suggestions beyond this?
    Thanks again.

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure what ground jumper your referring to...and none of the 85 pins are ground anyway.

Try a test...

1) Make sure both grill connectors are plugged in.

2) Turn the headlights on.

3) Take a 5 amp fused jumper wire and go from the neg battery post to the 86 pins on the plow side relays. Do each one, one at a time.

Do the plow lights come on with your jumper attached? They should.

16. mccorm

mccorm Junior Member
    from Maine

OK so as soon as I put the jumper on 86 it blows the inline fuse? This happens on both high and low beams.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Can you shoot a couple clear close up pics of the relay connections? You can email them so it's not necessary to resize them in order to post them...doing that sometimes makes them too tough to see.

Let me know and I'll PM you my address.

18. mccorm

mccorm Junior Member
    from Maine

Yes I can do that. Just let me know.

19. mccorm

mccorm Junior Member
    from Maine

with the help of B&B we got the problem resolved. Ended up being I needed to get a newer wire harness. Dodge decided to change the headlights in the 2001 dakota, after I got the new western wire harness and hooked it up it all works as advertised!

I huge thanks to B&B and this forum! Would never have been able to do it without you!