1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mm1 will not stay raised

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by petethecold, Dec 19, 2009.

1. petethecold

petethecold Junior Member
    from maine

Hi . My 2000 8' mm 1 will only go up half way then quickly drops. With the white wire off s1 it will raise all the way but not drop .Is the coil bad or the controller.All the grounds appear to be sound. Thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Defective controller or rotted grill connector or short in the harness likely. Easy test to narrow it down...

Raise the blade with a floor jack and then raise the lift cylinder with the controller and immediately disconnect the controller, then lower the floor jack. Does the blade stay up? If so then the controller is faulty.

3. petethecold

from maine

Ok, thanks I'll try it in the morning. I suspect it's the wireing as the green wire in the 3 pin truck side was broken . I spliced it back , but there may be more issues as the plow has not been used in 3 years. Thank you for the come back. Pete

4. petethecold

from maine

B&B, the plow stayed up,so I guess it's time for a new controller. Thank 's alot.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Glad you found the test helpful. Sorry to hear that unfortunately it told you that you need a rather expensive controller repair. :cry:

6. petethecold

from maine

yup, expensive especially since I don't use it and haven't for 3 years. I use my 2001 chevy 3500 stake body dump with a Meyers e 60 8.5 foot straight. I don't think it's as good a plow as the fisher ,but the truck pushes better than the GMC 2500 with the fisher on it.Thought I'd get the fisher going and maybe sell it, but don't know .What are your thoughts on replacing the circuit board or coil cord if one or the other is defective. Is it worth it or just time to bite the bullet and get a complete new controller? Either way thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll need help in the future with the Meyers. Thanks again ,Pete

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Go with the replacement circuit board if the coiled cord checks out ok (check each wire with an OHM meter) as doing so will save you $100 over a complete controller. The plastic handles never go bad anyway. :D

Happy to assist Pete and good luck. :drinkup:

8. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

I disagree with your diagnosis... That would be a one in a million if it is a control.. It is more likely cartridge it would be the oring on s1..

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it would have been an issue with the S1 it would have dropped even with the wire disconnected, which it didn't.

One in a million for a DD hand held controller be defective? Amusing. :laughing:

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

One in a million? That's friggin hilarious. Most guys here carry a spare they are so unreliable. I must have the only defective controller "produced" by Douglas Dynamics? :laughing::laughing:

My down button is intermittent. Very intermittent. When it's acting up, the plow basically chatters going down. Shakes the whole truck. Sent it to Rockland for testing, of course it "tested OK". I only spent 10G two years ago, but they won't take my word for it that it is bad.:realmad: