1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM1 Whirling Noise From Pump

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by DeereFarmer, Jan 3, 2010.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Towards the end of plowing today my pump/motor on my MM1 Insta-Acta started to make a loud vibrating whirling humming noise. Everything was replaced on the plow last year and it has maybe 6 storms total on all the pump, motor, and electric parts. The plow moved up, and side to side very slowly. This was after about 10 hours of straight plowing. I was thinking that it may be overheating, so I washed all the snow and ice off of it and let it cool down for a few hours. It seems to be doing better now, but still has a slight noice to it. I checked the fluid (which is all new this season from Fisher) and it seemed to be clean and full. Can these plows overheat? Any ideas on what to do? Should I be worried?

2. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

maybe the screen is clogged.. I have never seen a plow over heat the fluid just working it.. ( a bad ground on the other hand the fluid can get hot enough to melt a hose) Could always drop the fluid to see if maybe it is milky with water in it.. did you replace to bushing? when the motor was replaced.. You might want to check the motor ..(see if it drawing to much.. Maybe check to make sure all the connection are OK (clean and tight).. Hope that helps..

3. DeereFarmer

When the motor was replaced, everything was replaced. I mean everything lol. All the plugs are new... clean and are tight. How much should the motor be drawing?

4. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

Every thing was replaced you say? The bushing for the motor is in the head that the motor sits on. The bushing does not come with the motor for insta-act, It comes with a sehp because it is all one unit. the armature could be grounding out against the fields if it is not centered. Good Luck.

5. DeereFarmer

You know, the bushing might not have been replaced. I'll have to check on that.

6. DeereFarmer

This morning I changed all the fluid and tried to figure this out in my haste before this "surprise) storm tonight. The plow operates as it should. The speed is correct and everything works perfectly, but it still does have a slight whirling noise. It only happens when you angle it left or right. When raising the plow the noise doesn't happen. I'm going to cross my fingers and hope that is makes it through this storm. I moved it left and right about 40 times and it seemed to be fine. Time will tell I guess.

7. plowinginma

from MA

did you replace the bushing??

8. DeereFarmer

I dug through my reciepts and it was replaced when the new motor was put in.

9. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

That's an odd problem. Keep us posted if it, or something worse happens, I would be interested to hear the outcome.

My initial thought was the pump or motor was on it's way out again....But obviously not. Maybe there is something interrupting the flow somewhere. Maybe it's time for a good old fashioned flush when you get the opportunity.

10. DeereFarmer

Well I got to use it a lot over the last few days. It works OK for the first two hours of plowing. After that is really starts to slow down in all directions except lowering it. After about 30 minutes of letting it sit without use it starts to work OK for another few hours. At all times I hear the whirling noise. It seems like it is pulling more power than it should. The lights dim a lot more than they used to. I just installed new lights on it two storms ago. That wouldn't have anything to do with it, would it? Might be time to go to the dealer. Not sure I'm going to be able to fix this one.

11. plowinginma

from MA

ummm if you would like .. I could check it out for ya.. I am not far from you ...

12. DeereFarmer

I might take you up on that offer. I have a buddy coming over in a few days to check it out. Where do you live? Just curious. I like finding all the local Mass guys on here.

13. plowinginma

from MA

I am in Grafton MA.. not too far away .. and I am a Fisher Tech.. Not a bad person to know ...If you own a fisher..LOL

14. DeereFarmer

Not a bad one at all lol.

15. DeereFarmer

Just an update: took everything apart today. It seems like water and condensation had gotten in there somehow. The shaft and the bearing were rusted up pretty bad. All the extra stress on it had caused the motor to go bad. Replaced everything and now it works better then ever!

16. plowinginma

from MA

The bushing is brass .. so that tells ya something..LOL

As an FYI .. the best PM you can do to a plow is change the fluid.. at the very least once a year..
    Dont get me wrong there is more to do .. but at the very least that should be done..
    Happy to hear you got her fixed!!

17. DeereFarmer

I usually change the fluid atleast twice a year. Cheap and easy so I like to do it often. At any rate I'm just glad it's back up and running. Now I don't have to be worried we get a surprise storm or anything.

18. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Always make sure after plowing for so many hours. to check the bolts when u have down time..Water getting into the housing and into the fluid, tell me you might have a gasket problem, or something is warp....

19. DeereFarmer

Good info twinman. Thanks.