1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM1 to 98 Chevy 1500 / Power Steering hydraulics completed

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by UpstateNYer, Oct 26, 2009.

1. UpstateNYer

UpstateNYer Member

I have finished the retrofit of the MM1 to my 1998 Chevy 1500 and I am ecstatic with the final product. I have utilized the stock power-steering pump to power my hydraulics and I could not be happier with the final result. The 7.5 plow lifts and angles very quickly with little or no effect on steering performance. It was almost too simple. I bought a new pressure side power steering hose at NAPA, cut it in half, had them crimp on a 1/4" NPT end on each half. Then I bought a 1/4" male and female quick connect and affixed to each half of the stock hose. Two new 1/4" NPT X 3/8 compression hoses and another male / female quick connect the power steering pump to the in side of the valve assembly and the out side of the valve assembly back to the steering box and I am done. Now in the off season I just uncouple the quick-connects from the valve assembly and insert a short hydraulic hose with another male / female quick-connect and the power steering is back the way it was except for a 12" peice of hose. The only thing I have left to do is install the $200.00 wiring harness for the plow-side lights and I am ready to go. The stock Fisher harness was almost as expensive as my plow ($300). I am going to add the recommended ballast (400 lbs.). I am planning on using 40lb water softener salt bags and then using the salt in my softener as I need it. That should last through the winter.

2. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

Very nice ..... Perhaps an inline filter on the return line a good idea.

3. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

Interesting,
    How close to Chittenango/Cazenovia are you? I plan on moving my MM1 to my 98 GMC after my 88 dies and would like to see your setup.

4. UpstateNYer

UpstateNYer Member

I live in Oriskany Falls, NY about 25 miles from Caz / Chit. Your welcome to come take a look. Send me your e-mail address and I will give you directions.

5. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

Message sent.:drinkup:

6. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

Did you get my message?

I know your not able to PM until after you have something like 10 post but if you check your profile I think you'll be able to read my message.

7. UpstateNYer

UpstateNYer Member

Got it! I will be in touch.

8. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

10. UpstateNYer

UpstateNYer Member

11. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Thanks for fixing that :)

12. UpstateNYer

UpstateNYer Member

Just to update this thread, I am still using the above setup and have not experienced a single breakdown or loss of performance. We have had 2 ft of snow in the last 7 days and my truck and plow performed flawlessly. I first posted the use of the stock power steering unit to operate my MM1 in 2008.

13. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Congrats! My '88 just killed the power steering Saturday night with no plow "stress" on it :cry: Not sure if it is the pump or box yet, but it was full when I left the house but when doing my IL's, all of a sudden there was a groan and the wheel just about locked up. Not what I was looking for on a truck I was looking to sell in a week or so since I got a new one and just hadn't put the plow on yet.

14. gmcdan

gmcdan Senior Member

i notice you used pvc pipe for the extension on the steering pump . i have a similar home made set up but i used a piece of exhaust pipe so that air would help cool the fluid . the pvc insulates the heat . just a sugestion .

15. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

That's great. I really like that idea.

:mechanic:

If you're saying you lost fluid, it's more likely a simple broken hose/rusted steel line.