1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mm1 SEHP won't budge!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Corelli, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Corelli

Corelli Junior Member

Hi folks... trying to narrow down this problem.

My father was plowing with my truck yesterday and at one point the plow just stopped moving on him. I have had trouble with the harness connectors in the past but jiggling/unplugging them seemed to do the trick (i realize this is stupid but please keep reading so I can eliminate options)

So when the plow stopped working this is naturally the first this we started doing. However unplugging/jiggling/replugging either cable yielded no results from the motor. The headlamps did flicker on and off quite a few times.

When I activate the joystick in any direction I can hear a somewhat strong clicking noise from the motor relay so I believe that is working or at the very least is getting power and receiving commands from the joystick.

Any help/advice is welcomed and appreciated.

2. Corelli

Corelli Junior Member

I've jumped from the battery directly to the plow motor and the motor ran fine so it's not seized up. It's also grounding because it would come on with just positive connected.

I have a feeling I'm going to be splicing up some new harness ends before the day is out. Maine is awfully cold... grrrr....

Anything I might be missing guys?
  3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Sounds like you got it- common problem on them. FWIW I left the original as long as possible (they usually break right near the connector) and soldered (not crimped - crimp connectors do not belong on a vehicle, especially outside in salt conditions) the replacement pigtail to the end giving me a longer harness which seems to have reduced the amount of flex to the connector.
  4. Corelli

Corelli Junior Member

well... i thought I had it. I replaced both the male and female harness connectors and the plow motor still isn't responding to anything I do with the joystick.

Plow will respond to a direct battery jump.

Motor relay is clicking when joystick is engaged.

Any help is appreciated.. pretty stumped now. and out 100 bucks on the harness replacements.
  5. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

some times filth gets in the joy stick. iuse a can of compresed air (the kind they sell to clean computers) move the little plastic gaurd thing thats supposed to keep crud outa the controler and give it a blast.
  6. PlowboyVT

PlowboyVT Member
    from VT

Did you try to jump the relay/solinoed itself. Just because it is clicking does not mean it's good. I think they are about $14.00.
  7. dmacy

dmacy Junior Member

Relays are a common problem. I always keep a spare. Some times if they die in a bad spot you can beat it with a hammer or wrench to get it working an get you home.
  8. Corelli

Corelli Junior Member

Alright guys after all that is was the motor relay. I should've figured as the plow was still using the old style motor relay. She needed new harness ends anyways as they were pretty well corroded.

My new problem, however, is the lights won't come on at all. I have triple checked my wiring on the new harness ends and everything looks pretty sharp. My daytime running lights also aren't coming on, so my first guess is I've blown a fuse/relay in my truck's (2002 Chevy 2500HD) electrical box somewhere. At least the truck will move now but I'll have to keep troubleshooting the lights.

One thing to note... the system originally had a 9-pin harness and I am using the 12-pin as my local dealer didn't carry the 9 pins anymore. I simply left out the three extra wires on either side of the harness.

I really appreciate all the input guys, thanks a ton.

9. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

sounds like you botched a wiring job replacing the harness.
  10. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member