1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM1 removal problem

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mayhem, Feb 4, 2007.

1. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Well I finally got enough snow to warant mounting the plow and doing my driveway...I was so happy to ge to use the new (to me) toy. Until I was all done that is. I've mounted and dismounted the plow a half doen times so I would know what I wasdoing more or less when I needed to use it, but this was really annoying. The mounting pins get a little bound up from the plow moving around, I expect that and have a perfectly sized small crowbar in the truck to help me persuade them out...the driver's side pin came right out, but the passenger side pin won't budge at all...I can't even get it to rotate, let alone slide out. I started getting mad at it so I put the driver's side pin back in so I don't damage anything and can still drive the truck, but I need to figure it out. My bes guess is that the pin hole on the pushplate may have contracted slightly more than the pin on the plow, turning what is probably a 1/16th inch tolerance into 1/32 or less, thus binding it hopelessly. I see 2 ways out...heat the push plate to expand the hole slightly and/or lubricant (the pins are dry, I've never put any grease on them because it never occurred to me...should I?) on the pins to help them slide more easily.

Suggestions? Is this a common problem or am I on an unusual situation? I'm finding the minute mount system hard to deal with right now, but I think its a simple matter of practice and probably some little tidbits I don't know about like some grease on the pins and maybe reaming out the pin hole a tiny bit.

Thanks for the help.

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Have you been using the bar that comes with the MM1? It's the 2-3' pipe with a bolt end on it to lever the plowframe up using the jackstand. That usually takes the pressure off the pins, and levering it back & forth a little might shake the frame loose some too. Sometimes levering up & down while pulling the pins will give good results, allowing a little release at a time til it finally slides out. Make any sense at all? It does in my mind, but my description might be a bit vague. Good luck!

~Kevin

3. J29

J29 Senior Member

Just a question, but are you pushing up on the headgear while you're trying to pull out the pins. I know it's tough to do both at once, but when you push on the headgear, you remove some of the weight off of the pins. That's how I do it at least. Hope this helps. J.

4. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Like the mm2 even with it's nice handle lever to pull the both pins, you still have to push back on the headgear to take weight and pressure off the pins.

it's harder on the mm1 since you have to push back and pull the pin out from the side, two people make it easier.

I've never been able to pull the pins out with out pushing the head gear back, other then one time, where it happened to land in a why when I pushed the headgear back the jack locked in a higher then normal hole, so the headgear stayed back and the weight was already off the pins.

5. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Also, before you can push the headgear back you have to be sure the lift piston is all the way down. I didn't see that mentioned. That will give more slack in the chain and relieve the pins when you are pushing back the headgear. If you have no one to help I usually put my shoulder into the top of the headgear and push it up while reaching down to pull out the pin. Good luck.

6. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Yeah glad someone remembered to mention that

I guess when you do it so often, when you have to stop and think about it, it's easy to forget the things we do all the time.

7. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I had this same problem the first time I treid to take mine off. Push the lift piston all the way down, unttil you can't see the piston at all. Then get someone to push the headgear up and towards the truck while you pull out the pin. You can use your crowbar or you can use the sharp end of a hammer. Then grease the pins like crazy.

8. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

I actually believe that it is a problem with the truck. Yupp. You are going to need a new truck. Yeah.

9. DeereFarmer

Uhhh... OK.:salute: :D

10. mayhem

from Peru MA

Damn. And I thought I was being smart getting a used truck. Oh well...off to the Chevy dealer. Damn. No Chevy dealers around here anymore. Guess I'll have to make due.

I think that comes on the MM2, I don't havy anything of that sort.

I always put the plow down in full float and if the piston is up at all I push down on the triangle to put slack in the chain.

I did what I could to take the pressure off the pins...even put a hyraulic jack under the pushplate and the plow frame alternately...neither seemed to help though. Tried jacking up the front end a bit and dropping the plow's jackstand another nothch so it supported a bit more of the plow's weight. Nothing.

I soaked the crap out of it with PB blaster tongiht and will give it a whack again tomorow I guess. Its damn cold out right now and I can drive the truck with the plow on it, I just don't want to smoke through a tank of gas every 3 days driving back and forth to work if I can help it.

Thanks for the help. Any benefit to dropping the plow onto pallets? Would that put it at more of an agreeable angle with the truck and maybe take more pressure off?

Anyone have a mechanical advantage they prefer to use on the pins? I'm finding the L-shaped bits that come out of the ends of the pins are starting to bend a bit from my use of the crowbar...again, sugesting that I'm doing this the hard way and I'm missing something important.

11. mayhem

from Peru MA

I was just running through the owner's manual online and saw a diagram indicating a device called the release rod, apprently specifically designed to help ease the pressre off the pins during the removal process. My plow does not appear to have this, but maybe I'm mistaken...I'll go check later today, Is this a removable rod that I can easily add or does the lack of this indicate I'm in for a massive bill if I want to add it? Its a MM1 8' HD blade with 3 wire inst-act system so I think it was made close to the end of the MM1 line...or its a relaly old MM1 that was retrofitted with insta-act hydraulics.

12. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

The first time I took mine off I didn't relize that I still had some tention on my lift chain which in return put pressure on the pins and made it a mother to get off. It's a breeze to take off now.Gives me more time for this :drinkup:

13. mayhem

from Peru MA

I just checked outside, there is definitely no release rod on my plow. I don't see any obvious open bolt holes or broken connectors where one would have been.

14. J29

J29 Senior Member

The release rod is separate. It doesn't attach to the plow or headgear at all. I never use mine, I just use a crowbar instead. You can get a replacement from your Fisher dealer, I don't believe they are too expensive. It doesn't seem like you're doing anything wrong. I actually leave the jack leg one notch too high, so it doesnt touch the ground until you release the pins. But that is just the way I have found to make life easy for me. Good luck. J.

15. mayhem

from Peru MA

Thts pretty much precisely how I;'m doing it. Somehting must have changed either with the cold weather or I managed to bend something along the way.

16. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

My process:

-Push down lift cylinder
    -Drop jack
    -Unhook electrical hookups
    -Pull drivers side pin by pushing up on headgear with left hand while pulling pin with right
    -Same thing for passenger side except with opposite hands
    -Hook shortchain chain up so that the headgear remains standing straight up
    -Back out of mounts
    -Push forward on headgear

17. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

On my old MM1. I would just get my shoulder under the head gear/light and push up on it and slide the pin out. I found that to be the easiest way

18. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Did you ever use your mounting points to to put a tow hook /chain? the hole could have a burr in it and it hanging up. Listen... this is all you have to do...get the biggest screwdriver you have. Not a wimpy one, a real big one. like one with 14" long blade 18+ with the handle. Stick it under the hook on the pin and twist it to get it loose and force the sucker out. Do the one that was real stuck first and if you can't push up on the head It just going to harder but I got them out for years with out even pushing it up. Just takes some Weeties.

If it still don't come out take a ride up to Nashua, I have BF hammer.

19. DeereFarmer

If you ever come around this way I'll give you a hand!:waving:

20. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

I think everyone covered the basics except one thing, make sure the catch chain is very loose so it lets you push the headgear up. If its too tight it will not allow you to take pressure off of the headgear. Also, forthe release bar mentioned, it is a very handy thing to have for the mm1's but all it is is a fancy name for a pipe with a stud welded on the end. Just make sure the stud is small enough to fit in the holes on the jack, makes taking the plow off easier to put just a little preload on the plow via raising the jack, making the pins easier to pull out.Also, yes, a little lube on the pin and spring mechanism is always a good idea.