1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM1 Raises Slowly After Fluid Change.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Stark_Enterprises, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Hey Guys. 1997 8FT MM1 2 plug old style pump/lift piston. This is my first year with this plow and I figured I would do some maintenance and change the fluid in the reservoir along with cleaning the intake screen. The previous owner had told me in his 10 years of owning it he never changed or cleaned anything.
    Intake screen wasn't to bad but i cleaned it out thoroughly, installed the motor with the same gasket as it was not damaged to my eyes. Poured in the S.A.M. blue fluid until it came out of the level plug hole. Started the truck an tried to raise the blade and got a really slow raise (slower than prior to fluid change) to about 50% normal height . Angling left and right i feel like the speed is good.
    Can anyone provide any insight to what might be happening?
    First thing is that now i regretting buying aftermarket fluid would that make a difference?
    Thanks ahead of time.:drinkup:

2. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

No that fluid is fine we ran that stuff for years with no problems.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What fluid was in it before?

4. Stark_Enterprises

It was black like motor oil and very thin..

5. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

foreign element might of got by and into the pump the pump has to work a lot harder to lift than to side to side or foreign element got into s1 cartridge u might want to go back in and try blowing out with a little air

6. Stark_Enterprises

will try it. thanks.

Edit: Am i able to remove and clean the S1 Cartridge simply? or does the whole valve manifold have to come off and be disassembled? and i assume when you say use compressed air you mean to blow out where that cartridge goes in?
    I'm looking at page 9 in the tech manual : http://library.fisherplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/21935_120098.pdf

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  7. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Did you change the filter on the pump while you were in there?Probably a good idea by the condition of fluid.As far as the S1 solenoid if I have a problem with a solenoid I take it out take my power probe and activate it a few times while spraying brake clean then blow it off with air.It also gives you a chance to see if the o-rings are good

8. Stark_Enterprises

Took the S1 apart today. Cleaned it out with compressed air. Cleaned the terminals on the solenoid. Put it back together and its working. What i did notice was some build up of a grease/corrosion on the power terminal on the solenoid , cleaned that off with a small wire brush and some sand cloth.

Thanks for responses. Thumbs Up