1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM1 on an '09 Chevy - need the isolation module?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by nichols, Oct 20, 2009.

1. nichols

nichols Member

I have a 7.5 MM1 plow that I used to have mounted on an '02 F250, and I'd like to get it mounted to my 2009 Silverado 1500. The questions are:

Do I *need* the isolation module setup to do this, or can I modify a MM1 harness? I'm only using the plow to clear my driveway and my grandparents' driveway, which is a half a mile up the road.

The thought is that if I get a MM1 harness to work to at least control the plow, I can set up the high and low beams on the plow harness to work with a couple of relays. I'm not really worried about shutting the truck headlights off, or getting the directionals to work. I'll never drive more than that 1/2 mile with the plow on the truck.

Anyone see any problems with this, or am I missing something?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. nichols

nichols Member

Anyone have any thoughts? :confused:

3. timboy

timboy Member
    from Ny

If you study out the wiring I'm sure you could either run the blade stand alone without lights or run the headlights through a 3 position switch with battery power to the lows, off and highs.
    [​IMG]
    I have done this before and it is relatively easy if you trace the wires using a fisher diagram.
    I personally would not attempt to integrate the full headlight wiring into the truck as it was on the ford.

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

hmmm, I would be a part of the "Do it right" club. It's a 2009 not a 1989. Why risk burning it to the curb? Although it would be a rare occurance, its a very realistic scenerio....Trust me, I am the guy that the cops call to clean up such messes. Whats next......welding the plow to your frame with rebar?

IMHO, if money is the factor (when isn't it :rolleyes:) , watch CL & Ebay like a hawk....deals are out there.

5. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

LOL REPO!!! ... I also belong to the do it right club.. However it can be done.. You could make less of a mess if you use the particular lighting harness for that vehicle.. And then Relay from there..

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

The lighting systems on these newer trucks are not something to mess with and dont work the same as they did in the old days and without a good understanding of how they work now youcould be looking at a expensive repair bill down the road to replace the entire lighting system.

Go with a iso and do it right!

7. DeAdZoNe

DeAdZoNe Member

Dont do it. I had an older 4 port iso mod that I tried to make work on my 09 3500 and found out their is a special relay pack with the newer 3 port iso mods. It is nessesary to hook up the harness in series with the plow harness the correct way or it will go haywire. Trust me...dont do it..nothing bad happened..is it possible to make something..yes but for the couple hundred bucks and piece of mind, its not worth it IMO. Now the older 4 port iso mods with standard headlight connectors you can just swap headlight ends from an autoparts store...but these would be for older trucks mid 2000's and earlier I think. Your new chevy has a DRL mod that needs to be satisified as well as the ISO mod that needs to see the right things as well. Hope that helps.

8. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

Ummmmm I don't know who told you that but .. they are clearly a sales guy.. or have no idea what they are talking about... Of course asumming you are mounting a MM1 or a 2009?

you can use a 4 port if you want.. or a 3 port... the 3 port was designed to be cleaner and take up less room... less conection as well...

9. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Ummmmmm I'll tell ya, i'm clearly an installer and theres no 4 port for an 09' Chevy:D

10. DeAdZoNe

DeAdZoNe Member

Ya Id check my facts before making posts dude....as stated, I have been this route...need 3 port iso mod...who told me??? about a dozen people, sales guys I dont talk to, only people that can awnser a technical question. Cleaner and less room,...ugh and inch shorter:dizzy:I guess thats a matter of personal taste, less connection, no its the same amount of connections just instead of 2 headlight harness cables it is one (with the RELAY thats needed!) Hence the change from the 4 port iso with ports #3 and #4 being headlight harness ports, it only needs one which I believe is #3 on the 3 port. Come to think of it, the 3 port iso mod had ALOT more wiring options and connections then the 4 ports. Most of it has to be looped or terminated because of all the different configurations you can have with it on todays trucks. Please dont state I have no idea what I am talking about unless its true buddy.