1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM1 lost all power

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by MarshallGirvin, Jan 3, 2013.

1. MarshallGirvin

MarshallGirvin Junior Member

8 ft MM1 3 plug
    2001 F350 7.3l powerstroke

I was plowing and lost power to the plow. Switched my controller on and off a few times and gained power back. A minute or so later I lost all power again. Did the same thing with the controller, gained power back, then lost it again. This happened 3 or 4 times, and then it never came back on. I replaced the relay in the truck, tested my controller and that works fine. When I plug the plow in, I don't even get lights on the plow. The red light on the controller would come on when the plow was plugged in a few days ago, but now that won't come on.
    If anyone could give me any sort of direction I would be extremely grateful. I'm just a poor college kid that's learning as he goes along.

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Do you have a hand held controller, or joystick?

3. RepoMan207

from Maine

Near the controller plug in, under the dash, there is a small red wire (accessory wire) that taps into your trucks fuse box or other power point. Check the connection to it's source and make sure it's tightly connected. Also, if there is a small barrel fuse inline, replace it....personally, I would hack it out and use a pig tailed fuse..

[​IMG]

Check your connections at the grill, make sure they're free of gunk, ice and corrosion. Clean them with brake cleaner, hot water, and load them up with dielectric grease. The light harness (11 pin) grill connector, examine behind each connector, and make sure there is no crimped, pinched, or cut wires. Pay close attention to the black / orange one.

under the hood, trace all your wiring for the plow, and make sure all the connections are tight. Up by the ISO module there is 2 fuses under a weather cap; check them over and make they're seated properly and not blown.

Next is a barrel connector, again right near the ISO module, depending if you have a 3 or 4 port, there maybe 2, just make sure all connections are tight, and pay close attention to the black and orange wire.

Where you just replaced the solenoid, we can trust everything is tight there, but make sure your terminals are tight at the battery..

Also check your terminals at your plow pump, make sure the termianls are tight, as well as the ring terminals connecting to them.

My guess would be you had a loose connection somewhere, or a corroded post, and it eventually blew a fuse...hence the progression in symptoms. Check it out, and report back with any questions or results.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  4. MarshallGirvin

I have a joystick controller. Triple checked all wires and connections. I also checked all fuses and none were blown, but replaced them all anyways. I hooked up to my brothers MM2 and the same thing is happening, which leads me to believe that the problem is truck side. Can an ISO module go bad? The problem arose after my truck was stuck, and I was romping on it quite a bit to get it out and the engine bay could have gotten a little hot.

5. MarshallGirvin

Thanks for all your help man, I really appreciate it.

6. MarshallGirvin

I forgot to add, when I first plugged my brothers plow in, the red led on the controller was on, and as soon as I moved the joystick, it went out and would not come on not matter what I did.

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

I'm wondering if you fried your controller. Try your brother's plow again, but with his controller....or simply borrow his, and operate your plow.

Yes, the ISO can go bad, but it's not common. It still sounds to me like a loose connection..maybe in the way of a compromised wire. Start with the controller.

8. iowaplower2003

iowaplower2003 Junior Member

A buddy of mine had a similar problem and after checking the whole system we figured out it was the controler. i would swap controlers and see if that fixes it.

9. MarshallGirvin

I was talking to another guy and he said the same thing about the controller. I just don't see how the controller could be bad in my truck, but work fine when I plug it into my brothers truck?

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

Sooo, you did try it in your brother's truck? It operated his plow perfectly without issue?

11. MarshallGirvin

Correct. I'm going to go try a few different things tomorrow and hopefully have an extra set of hands to help me test things out.

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

I'll shoot you a few things when I get home tonight. It'll narrow it down.

13. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

How about a bad selnoid?

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

Did your accessory wire (this is the red wire that runs off the control harness under the dash) have the inline barrel fuse? If so, did you test both side of the connector for 12v while the ignition was in the ON position, or did you hack it out and butt connect the two wires back together?

How did your 3 pin and 11 pin grill connectors look, did the ;pins show any signs of corroding, was there any contaimination or ice built up in there?

I don't see this to be the issue, but double check your wiring -

[​IMG]

After reaffirming the above, turn the ignition to the ON position, and check for 12v at the # 1 socket, and ground at the # 3 socket.

[​IMG]

Are your lights switching over to the plow lights as they should, or are you not getting lights either?

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

He stated that he already replaced it within the first post.

16. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

Ah, duh

he does state the plow lights are not coming on? Sounds like a bad connection somewhere

17. RepoMan207

from Maine

And that goes to show that I'm not fully awake just yet.......

Marshall -

Do you have a 3 or 4 port Isolation Module?

18. MarshallGirvin

The red accessory wire goes straight to constant power, and has power. The 3 and 11 pin connectors look fine, no signs of corroding or anything like that. The sheathing behind the connectors is unharmed as well. It is a 3 port isolation modules, and the lights do not switch over.

19. RepoMan207

from Maine

...Well now, with the truck on, check for ground at the # 2 pin on the 11 pin truck side light harness connector .

11 pin 2.jpg

11 pin 2.jpg

20. Moose mudding

Moose mudding Junior Member

I have the same issue with my minute mount one the only thing that I have going over you is the plow headlights are switching on but I have no power to the control I have checked all the fuses and then I also have brand new battery and solenoid and have gone through all the connections and I'm not getting any power to the control

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015