1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mm1 hydro to electric pump swap

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by supercuts, Feb 12, 2010.

1. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

not sure if its worth doing. can anyone tell me all the parts i would need? i have an old fully hydrolic mm1 with a valve body under the hood. im guessing i would need the pump obviously but does the harnesses and controler all have to be replaced. thanks

2. Jack33

Jack33 Junior Member
    from NH

That is crazy talk. You would be nuts to replace a belt drive system with electric. They are practically bulletproof, require almost no maintenance, and outlast the 4 or 5 trucks they get installed on before needing any major service.

But to answer your question, everything between the controller and the motor/pump. There are a couple of different variations of motors, wiring, and lighting setups so if you piece it together make sure it all matches.

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Yup, same thoughts as Jack here.

Your talking alot of $$ if you go new; $2k or so for everything I would say. Get a used western Isarmatic or Fisher SEHP style pump and you won't be so bad off. I think your better off staying with what you have, but if you really want to swap, we would need to know your truck and plow details.

4. Bmxdkj

Bmxdkj Member

The only thing that is truck specific is the light harness, which is already on there I assume since you already have a fisher on the truck. All you need is the SEHP pump, plowside wiring/lights, and the truckside wiring. All two plug. The most expensive thing out there is the pump, probably around 800 bucks I think last time i saw one. You can get the wiring for a few hundred, so your maybe talking around 1200 when your all done with everything...I'm not sure its worth it, however, if you ever get a newer truck you don't have any room for the older pump under the hood, so now might be the time to set up the truck with a newer style pump. Good luck with everything!

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

The pumps are $1200-$1400. CPW had one on sale last week for just under $1200. If you have a link to a cheaper NEW one; could you let me know. I need one for a project I'm working on.

This is an original MM, The lights and control wiring are within the same harness, so once you go electric over hydraulic, there is no choice of just control wiring, atleast that I'm aware of anyway. Then of coarse there is always the controller...Your talking another $600 or so for all of that...that is if he goes new.

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I'll take a belt drive hydro unit all day. I hate elec/hydro systems. I have no choice but to use one. My old Fisher speedcasts NEVER let me down once.

7. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Could use a haldex setup. I had one on my last truck, worked great. Check out Northern tool's website, but its still $650 and probably the cost of new hoses.

8. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

You can get just a control harness for a SEHP. I had one on my convetionally mounted Fisher on my 4runner. I would have to look up the part number. It was around $65 when I bought it years ago. Even if you could not get that one, it is a pretty simple harness. Three wires out to the pump and a wire to trip the relay and a power pickup from the fuse panel. Really, you could use any type of control (Fisher/Western, Meyer Slick Switch, Toggles etc) All you would need is a plug up at the pump. A four way flat trailer plug would work fine.

I would still stay with the belt driven if I could. As I have said before, I still try to mount belt drives on newer trucks. We usually have to use clutch pumps with seperate resevoirs, aux drive sheathes, etc but it is worth it for a reliable system.

9. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

If someone was to swap a full hydraulic system on a Speedcast or MM1 setup, it is a physical direct swap as far as replacing the lift ram w/ the SEHP unit, correct?

10. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

RepoMan I know ur's is a old thread,but it never hurts to ask.If ur still lookn for a Insta-Act I have a brand new one.If ur interested PM me