1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM1 Headachess

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by StonewallFarms, Jan 30, 2011.

1. StonewallFarms

StonewallFarms Member

Hey Guys,

so im at a complete loss at what to do next. ill give you all the info i can up to this point and im hoping you can give me some suggestions.

I have an older MM1 with Insta act hydros..

3 storms ago ( last week here in Mass.) the blade would lower all the time, so i inspected the lift ram and after 10 yrs of use i assumed it would be a good call to replace after seeing some fluid leaking around the packing nut.

replaced the lift ram, and at the time i changed the fluid, the previous owner had not used fisher fluid so, i drained it the best i could and poured the fisher fluid in..

Still didnt correct the issue..

Next i took out the S1 cartrige and saw that the washers were gone and went to napa and replaced them..

worked like a champ for a week..

now the issue came back..

Sent it to my machanic who has some plow experince, he checked all wires and replaced the rings in the s1 again.. now the plow wont do anything just jerks to the right and thats all..

So i replaced the s1 cartridge out of complete frustration and still no luck.. do any of you have any ideas or at least a reliable repair shop in mass that could fix this before Tuesday and Weds. storms??

- Dan :dizzy:

2. inspector jonny

inspector jonny Junior Member

Check with a few other post on here that where having the same problems, usually it the solenoid sticking or not working or the three pin harness for controls at the bumper do not have a good connection.

3. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Have you checked the tightness of the packing nut.Check and make sure all the plugs at both at the plow and grill are clean and have die electric grease on them.Also remove the plastic cover on the plow itself where the connections are for the solenoids and make sure they aren't corroded and are connected.

I live in ma and would be glad to take a look at it if you want

4. StonewallFarms

StonewallFarms Member

Hey Chevy.

I checked it all.. this afternoon i took the whole oil res. off cleaned the filter, and pulled all the cartridges out.. S1,S2,S3.. moved the plow around by hand to make sure there was no blockage in any of the hydro lines. put it all back to gether and all it does is move to the right, even if i do hit the left button it still goes right..

used battery terminal cleaner on the the connections to eliminate corrosion and added some new dielectric.. Still nothing

where in mass are you?

5. chevyzrule810

chelmsford right next to lowell.Did you take the cover off and look at the solenoid terminals on the plow?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Why in the world you would allow your so called mechanic change out Orings on a brand new valve is beyond me...chances are they weren't even the right size. The only reason I called him "so called" is because any mechanically inclined person would not have messed with a brand new valves orings. And if this came back to you in worse shape then you gave it......oh man I would be furious.

Did it work at all when you got it back....or was it in worse condition? Were you there to watch him?

If your packing nut is tight, and your fluid is up to par, I would recommend you check your check valves, then declare it a controller issue. But if you don't know what else your "mechanic" did to it......

Do you have access to another controller just to eliminate it as being your issue???

I would first follow Chevy's advice and make sure you have a solid connection on the S1 valve, but I suspect you would of noticed it prior to.

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

I had forgotten, if you ever run into this issue again, disconnect the controller after raising the plow, with the truck on, if it still drops, then it is a pump or wiring issue, if it stays up...it's your controller.

Problem is, now that it is failing all functions....you'll never know until we get it back to working condition. That's not to say it's NOT the controller. It maybe a mix of things now that your guy has had his turn with it.

Here is the Check valve adjustment and testing....just to eliminate it as an issue....it may've been fine prior to, but you never know if your mechanic messed with it or not.

[​IMG]

8. chevyzrule810

I agree with you ryan that's like getting a crate motor and putting new head gaskets in,doesent make sense.You can try my fishstik if you want to see if its the controller

9. StonewallFarms

StonewallFarms Member

Hey Guys,

sorry for miss leading you in my post.. i didnt look over my time line of events in my explanation. My mechanic put new rings on it first and it still didnt help so then i went out and got the s1 cartridge...

the only other fishtick i have is for my extreme v and it doesnt fit..

i ended up calling a fisher dealership this morning and the trucks currently there..

I will let you guys know as soon as I hear.

Dan

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

I suspect it's your controller, but I'll be interested to hear what it turns out to be. Best of luck and keep us posted.

11. glennemay

glennemay Member

Dan,

I live in Shrewsbury as well. I don't have a fish stick to try, but I do have a a joystick if you want to give it a shot.

Did the dealer get it back to you in time for this next blast?

Glenn

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

13. StonewallFarms

StonewallFarms Member

so just picked up the truck heres the play by play

Bench tested all the coils - OK
    S1 and S2 Valves - OK
    S3- had a minor blockage or wasnt working properly- Replaced
    Removed / Cleaned both cross over valves and pump pressure relief valve
    2 quarts of EZ flow

and its working..

Thanks guys for all your help this one just proved to be a little over my abilities.. now resting up before this storm hits

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

Sweet. Happy plowing man!

15. glennemay

glennemay Member

Glad to hear it Dan,

As I said I live here in town. We should grab a coffee one of these days.

Glenn