1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM1 fixing holes

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by antanddom, Jun 28, 2009.

1. antanddom

antanddom Member

Anyone know the best way to fix rotted holes in the plow .It works great but looks like crap.
    Thanks in advance

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Where are the holes? Do you have pics?

3. antanddom

antanddom Member

Hi,
    the holes are on the top part of the blade I'll try to get pics.I got the plow in 98 so I would like to get a little more life out it.I own a landscaping business and only plow driveways now.
    Thank you

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Top is better than the bottom. Probably all you can do is weld on some patches, grind them as smooth as you can, and paint it. Somewhere on here there is a thread of someone who put a whole new skin on. It was a lot of work, but it looked nice and will last a long time.

5. antanddom

antanddom Member

Thank you very much for your help I feel better now I just didn't want to buy a new plow at this time.Thanks again
    Tony

6. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I have reskinned Fishers. Hardest part is getting the old one off and smooth along all the ribs. A plasma cutter makes it a lot easier, I had it for the last one I did.

Plasma the old skin off, then sandblast all the ribs etc. Use a grinder to clean up the ribs and check the whole plow over for any cracks of weak areas.

The other thing I found was that no one has an 8ft roller. So you would need to 4ft pieces with a seam. Instead of this I used a press brake at the local shop to put small bends every inch. Works well. The just tack it in and when it looks good weld it up.

7. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I saw a repair kit listed just recently. Let me see if I can find it

Maybe someone else knows where to find. But someone is selling fiberglass over lays that bolt up to moe board. They look Ok. I thought I saw them on EBAY but coudnt find them

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  8. antanddom

antanddom Member

I bought the poly shield then found out it's for plows without the trip edge .I have it don't know what to do with it.

9. antanddom

antanddom Member

I will ask a buddy of mine owns Boston welding Love to buy a new one but just bought 2 new mowers for my business they cost more then 2 plows
    thank you very much for the info. it helps

10. BigDave12768

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Alot of guys around here have bolted them onto the face of their Fishers. They seem to do alright. You cut the bottom off and bolt it on. An even better way to do it would be to weld a channel on the bottom of the plow so the shield drops in it. That would prevent snow from getting under it. It would be like the way skins are held in the X-blade or XV.

12. antanddom

antanddom Member

WOW great idea I still have the poly shield and I'm going to try it.
    Many thanks

13. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

The problem with the poly overlays is that it traps stuff between the poly and the steel and actually makes the steel rot faster.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Very good point, I meant to bring that up. Kinda like vinyl siding. Just covering up the bad news.

Of course you coat the blade down with Fluid Film before you put the poly on. I'll have to mention that to my next siding customer.

15. antanddom

antanddom Member

where can I but fluid film in massachusetts

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

17. BigDave12768

I found mine in South Boston at SG Edwards or something like that. its listed on Fluid Films site. A gallon cost me like $25. I am very happy with the stuff. Works great on latches that are prone to get sticky with moisture. But takes a day or 2 for itself to work all the way in. But they worked better than new once it found its way into every crevis.

18. antanddom

antanddom Member

Thanks for you help I'll search for it better the WD-40 which I use gal of