1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM1 Felt Washers

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by derekmorse, Nov 1, 2008.

1. derekmorse

derekmorse Junior Member
    from MA

Could someone PLEASE help me.

I have a MM1 with the insta-act motor. I took the cover off the motor to clean up and re secure the ground bolt. Upon removing the cover, 2 felt washers fell out from somewhere on top of the cover. I am thinking they belong on top and on the bottom of the brushed when the shaft is in place. Could someone please verify that for me? Thanks a lot in advance!

Also, is it worth cleaning anything up under that cover? Its pretty messy in there and didn't know if it was worth it! Thanks

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Try your manual for the schematic- if that doesn't help search for B&B on this site. He's the man.

3. derekmorse

derekmorse Junior Member
    from MA

Unfortunately I don't have a manual, I bought the plow used. Also I tried the manuals on fishers site and they weren't helpful. I'll have to search for him then. Thanks!

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You'll pulled the complete armature out of the motor housing, or only removed the cap from the top of the motor?

5. derekmorse

derekmorse Junior Member
    from MA

I removed the two bolts from the top and removed the whole housing, not realizing that the cap came off. The armature stayed in place. I then found the two felt washers loose inside the housing. It looked like one was on top of the brushes and maybe one was on the bottom? I dunno.....

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

One goes on the bottom, and one goes on the top of the armature.

7. derekmorse

derekmorse Junior Member
    from MA

do you mean on the bottom of the actual armature? because I never removed it from the pump? or do you mean on the armature shaft under the brushes and the other on top of the brushes under the cap? I know I'm being confusing. there is also a thin metal washer on the armature shaft under the brushes. thats where I thought the bottom felt went.

8. derekmorse

derekmorse Junior Member
    from MA

I guess I'll just go with my instincts and put them where I think. I don't think I can be too far off.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Uggg, ok if you never had the armature out of the motor body and you have a metal washer the orentaion is: metal washer frist- then the two felt washers, one on top the other, then the top cap.

10. derekmorse

derekmorse Junior Member
    from MA

I know i'm being a PITA, so I am sorry, I am just not too familiar with these motors.

The armature wes removed from the housing, but not from the pump itself. when I took the housing and cap off, the armature stayed in its place.

so.... just to make sure I'm understanding.... its metal washer, brushes, two felt washers, then cap? thanks

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct...

12. derekmorse

derekmorse Junior Member
    from MA

ok awesome! thanks for the help, there is no metal washer that I am missing that goes on top of the brushes right? Thanks again and sorry!

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The metal washer is nothing more than a shim, but yes there's usually only one in the top side.

14. derekmorse

derekmorse Junior Member
    from MA

ok thank you for all your help