1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM1 drawing amps and hearing motor run ?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 79GMC, Jan 4, 2010.

1. 79GMC

79GMC Junior Member
    from Vermont

My son has aMM1 on a 2000 chevy 2500 he bought the truck and plow together last spring and since he has hooked it up it has been drawing a lot of amps he said it goes down to around 9amps and he has said that not always but usely you can hear something running ? jsut this sun. he hooked it up to move it he raised it then dropped it down to push a little spot of snow next he raised it up then after he dropped it again he said you could he something running like a motor or ?he thinks maybe something is sticking, anybody have a clue as to what he should look for i said maybe a short but he hasn't found anything yet so any help you guys could pass on would be great ! Thanks
  2. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

Same think, 2000 chevy 2500. I kept putting on new motors only to find out the bushing in the head where the motor sits was worn out. The armature was grounding to the fields, big amp draw, etc. Check the shaft on motor for wear for it will only eat up a new bushing. At least this is what happened to us. This may be a place to start. Other things heat up and melt down with amp draw but look here first. People don't realize We must cycle our plows 1000+ times in a storm, Try starting your truck the many times a night and see how long that lasts. Good Luck
  3. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

If the motor is running .. Solenoid is bad..Probably has a melted terminal.. What caused the solenoid to melt is like what SNOWPRO said.. A draw on more than likely a bad ground can cause this type of problem.. Check all the conections (clean and tight).. Start there..
  4. 79GMC

79GMC Junior Member
    from Vermont

Thanks , i told him to go through all the wireing and check it don't think he has had a chance yet also will tell him about the bushings maybe he can get it in the garage this week and check things out , Thanks again and if theres anything else he should look for let me know !