1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM1 8' used question

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 2002F350, Sep 6, 2009.

1. 2002F350

2002F350 Junior Member
    from Mass

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've got about 3yrs exp plowing with Meyers. Took a few years off and just purchased my first used MM1 8 foot plow for my 02 Ford F-350, 5.4L Gas, Automatic, paid $1,000 for the plow. It has been sitting inside a garage for 3 yrs, looks in pretty good shape. Prior to that it was used and maintained yearly. It appears to have newer hydrolic lines and A frame. I hooked up to the plow to my truck and attempted to lift it, I could hear the motor running however no movement. Any suggestions on what I should do for maintenance prior to the snow season would be helpful. I basically want to go through it and make sure everything is up to spec. It looks like it will need a new cutting edge as well. How much do these run?
    I bought my truck with the plow pushers and wiring already on the truck minus the plow. Can someone explain the two plug system to me. There's three plugs coming off the plow frame. One from the motor and two for the lights that plug together. So that should only be one plug going to the truck, however I have two plugs on my truck and I was told I have a two plug hook up, MM1.
    Having plowed for a few years with a meyer and going to a fisher it's amazing how different the plows are. Fisher is far more heavy duty. I will post up some pics of my truck/plow.

Thanks,
    2002F350

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I can help you with some of it. Cutting edges are about a hundred bucks, give or take. To fix the wiring, go to your Fisher dealer and tell them you need the two plug harness, plow side. Pretty straight forward to swap over. I would get some Fluid Film on the ground connection on the motor. They can be touchy, and folks have twisted the stud right off. Spray the FF on, and let it work at least a few days, even a week.

As for no lift - Have you checked the fluid? Do any of the functions work - left and right? Sounds like a solenoid is not opening. I have never worked on that, so I'm not much help there.

3. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

Sounds like you have a 2-plug truck and a 3-plug plow. The plow can be converted over to a 2-plug system to match the truck (much cheaper and easier than converting to truck to a 3-plug setup). If you are only able to connect the motor plug (heavy one with 2 cables), when you hit up, left, or right on your control, the underhood solenoid will activate the motor. Without the control harness hooked up, none of the hydraulic "valves" operate, so no movement. The other 2 plugs on the plow are the control harness, and the lighting harness, if it's what I think it is. If you can post pics of the plow's plugs, we can make sure were on the right page here.

As far as why they are different, here's the way it's been reasoned to me. The 2-plug system was the earlier one. It uses relays to change the headlamps and highbeams over from truck to plow. The plow controls and lighting are integrated into 1 plug, and the other is the motor cable. As later model trucks became more sensitive to extra electrical loads, the 3-plug setup with Isolation Module was introduced. This, as it's name implies, is meant to completely isolate the plow lighting from the truck's lighting circuits. On a 3-plug setup, the motor cable is still the same. The 3-pin connector is the control harness, and the other harness is the lighting harness.

As far as maintenance, keeping the electrical connections corrosion-free is great advice. Keep pivot points lubed, like any equipment. The fluid should be changed every year, preferably in late fall. Hot days and cool nights introduce condensation into the fluid, which is why changing it in the spring or summer is not recommended. It will just get moisture in the new fluid before you even use it. Check all hardware, and replace any damaged or missing bolts or pins. When you buy a new cutting edge, get the bolt kit also. You are not going to want to try to re-use the ones on there.

4. 2002F350

2002F350 Junior Member
    from Mass

Thanks for the help. Here are a few pictures, hope this helps.

plow 001.jpg

plow 002.jpg

plow 006.jpg

plow 005.jpg

plow 004.jpg

5. 2002F350

2002F350 Junior Member
    from Mass

Also here is one of my cutting edge.

plow 003.jpg

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

See those bolts on the motor where the big red and black wires are? Spray those liberally with Fluid Film. The cutting edge looks fine to me. A new one is six inches tall. Yours looks to be at least five. When you set the blade down on some hot top or concrete, see how far the brackets that hold the springs to the base angle are from the ground. When they start getting close, like a half inch, it's time for a new cutting edge.

7. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

Yeah, that's a 3 plug plow. Like was previously stated, it can be converted to a 2-plug system with a new harness.Fisher #8246 (9 pin plowside harness). Your truck won't run it as-is.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It's a real easy job to change the harness.

9. 2002F350

2002F350 Junior Member
    from Mass

So I changed over my plow from 3 to 2 plug, purchased a fisher cover, replaced the fluid and painted the plow with the FISHER decal. I purchased a qt. and barely had enough for 2 coats front and back. So I finished up with a spray can - Fisher paint - and it was a different shade!!! grrr lucky its on the back of the plow so not too noticable. I'm into this plow with everything for about $1,700 total. I posted some photos.

plow.jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  10. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

well it looks like a 1700 plow now. Nice job

11. Jaspell

Jaspell Member
    from 06117

Looks great. You and I have the same plow.How did you find changing the fluid? I havent fugured out if I need a wrenchg or an allen wrench to open the drain. And my fill plug is stuck. I havent even tried disconnecting the hoses yet.

And your cutting edge is fine. Fisher says replace it when it gets to 1 inch.

Now buy a Fisher sno foil and we'll be twins.

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

NO!!! Wait that long and you'll be buying a new base angle. Actually you won't even get that far. The trip springs will be launching off the hottop LOL. On the back of the base angle are some tabs that connect to the trip springs. If you let the edge wear so far that those tabs hit the ground, big money. A good rule of thumb is to replace the cutting edge when those tabs are an inch from the ground. If you don't have a cutting edge yet, just the base angle, it's fine to let the base angle wear to the same point.