1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mm power cable from battery

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by BIGRED1, Nov 5, 2005.

1. BIGRED1

BIGRED1 Member

two questions:
    1. I had Salem Brake and Clutch in Salem Mass install my ss x blade and they left the three wires that come through the grill hang there. I have seen in most other mm plow applications these wires are mounted to a plate or plates to get a "finished" look. They did an excellent job other than this and I would go back to them in a minute, I wonder if there is something about an 06 2500 hd that prevents them from finishing the job. any thoughts....

2. The 12 volt power supply that comes through the grill- how similar is this cord to the cord that comes thru the grill of a tow truck used for quick and ez jump starts. are they remotely interchangeable?

thank you
  2. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

I don't know about the finishing, although i certainly wouldn't consider the job "done" if all wires are not secured. I do not know what the connections for your primary cables look like. I will tell you that it would be perfectly feasable to change the primary connectors to the type that is used for jumper cables. Email me if you would like more details and part numbers.

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

the power connections are totally different. The tow truck booster connectors are not always connected to the battery firstly, sometimes there are booster generators under the hoods. Also I don;t believe the plow power is direct to the battery- there are relays in the circuts.. At any rate the power cable is not heavy enough to jump start with- jump cables should be 2 guage for light duty and 0/1 for standard duty. The plow carries alot of current, but not nearly as much as a jumpstart.

not sure about the "finishing"- I know most MM2 trucks I have seen only have 1 connector mounted to a plate- the other two plug to themselves.
  4. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

The power cable on a MM2 is powerless until the light harness on the plow & truck are connected which trip the relay that separates the power cable from the battery.
  5. alamarc

alamarc Member

You answer is in this thread. Personally i agree with you. I like the way the old ones look but it was partly GM's fault that fisher had to change.
  6. alamarc

alamarc Member

opps forgot the link
  7. alamarc

alamarc Member

8. alamarc

alamarc Member

i give up!!!!!!!
  9. alamarc

alamarc Member